Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Network Edition] About Backup...

Quote Originally Posted by labynocle View Post
    first I want to thank you for the replies !
    when you say "After deleting the full backup you are vunerable to complete data loss until your next full backup is through", I'm not really agree with this. A full backup will be generated if you want to create an incremental backup without any reference (I don't know if you can really understand what I mean )... so finally there is no weak point ?
    To make sure what I mean (and if I understood you right).
    You have the following lineup of backups:
    FIIIIIII

Now to force Zimbra to make a full backup you delete the last full backup now you have the following:
    IIIIIII

Until the new full backup has run through you have no full backup for your incrementals to build on.
    So if you lose data now you will have lost it for good (or rather bad).

Christian

yep I understand your point of view... and you right ! (if I have a problem during the creation of the new full backup... I will cry for a long time)

I will think about a better way to make my backup... this discussion helps me to see clearly the weak point of my idea !

thank you for this !
    Last edited by labynocle; 05-07-2007 at 07:59 AM.
    Aleikoum ne mesure pas le web !
    Run, run... ruuuuuuuun !

You're right Christian.

But I'd say it this way : it's useless to delete a full backup (to gain disk space) if you don't delete the incremental ones relying on this full backup.

And what Erwan meant too is that if you delete a full backup, the next incremental you do will be actually a full backup, not just incremental (same "problem" as adding a new user).

The full/incremental backups features in Zimbra are designed to avoid you to buy a third party backup tool able to handle incremental diffs between full backups.

But you can obviously do a full Zimbra backup each night, export it (SAN, NAS, whatever) and use a third party tool (even rdiff-backup maybe ?) to handle the diff mechanism and do some "true" backup on disk.

Quote Originally Posted by labynocle View Post
    yep I understand your point of view... and you right ! (if I have a problem during the creation of the full backup... I will cry for a long time)

I will think about a better way to make my backup... this discussion helps me to see clearly the weak point of my idea !

thank you for this !
    You are welcome. This is part of my job. Most would say this is a marginal problem as you are vulnerable for something like an hour or less. But this hour can cost you lots of money. I have seen these small things hurt a lot of customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Klug View Post
    You're right Christian.

But I'd say it this way : it's useless to delete a full backup (to gain disk space) if you don't delete the incremental ones relying on this full backup.
    Absolutely agreed, and I like that part of his idea.

And what Erwan meant too is that if you delete a full backup, the next incremental you do will be actually a full backup, not just incremental (same "problem" as adding a new user).
    Yeah, good as well. I just wanted to make clear that forcing Zimbra to do a full backup by deleting the old one is dangerous.
    It is far better to add a line to do it manually before deleting the old one.

The full/incremental backups features in Zimbra are designed to avoid you to buy a third party backup tool able to handle incremental diffs between full backups.
    One of Zimbras best features for me

But you can obviously do a full Zimbra backup each night, export it (SAN, NAS, whatever) and use a third party tool (even rdiff-backup maybe ?) to handle the diff mechanism and do some "true" backup on disk.
    Exactly what we do /opt/zimbra/backup is an NFS share from another Linux server.
    This share is backuped (by Bacula) every night,incremental backup, one full per week, just like in Zimbra itself.

What comes to my mind now: if you have a tape backup of your (Zimbra) full backup and you delete it you should be safe as well, it just will take longer to come back up again.

Christian

Quote Originally Posted by chh View Post
    Most would say this is a marginal problem as you are vulnerable for something like an hour or less. But this hour can cost you lots of money. I have seen these small things hurt a lot of customers.
    If you have space, an hourly incremental backup can save your life 8)

Quote Originally Posted by chh View Post
    What comes to my mind now: if you have a tape backup of your (Zimbra) full backup and you delete it you should be safe as well, it just will take longer to come back up again.
    If you delete a backup (full or incremental) using the CLI tools, your backup won't be referenced anymore as usable by your server.

That means it becomes "disaster recovery backup" you'll have to restore with zmrestoreoffline instead of zmrestore : no more restoration of just one mailbox.

If you just delete (or move to another storage) the files, Zimbra will still know about it (until you delete it) and you'll be able to restore it with zmrestore.

Default new users full backup

Quote Originally Posted by Klug View Post
    But beware of the full backup functionnality...
    Each time you add a user (or when a new mailbox is accessed for the first time I'm don't know exactly), a full backup is done (at night) even if it was suppose to be an incremental.
    as far as i can tell this full backup, is just a full backup of the new users account, if an incremental is due to happen.