Thread: Mail Alias question

Default Mail Alias question

All,

I have a long domain name (bangtherockstogether.net - some old school geeks might understand the reference ) so I registered a new one (btrtg.net) adn decided to accept mail for both to my ZCS mail server.

I did it the simple way (I think?):

Code:
    zmprov cd btrtg.net zimbraDomainType alias zimbraMailCatchAllAddress @btrtg.net zimbraMailCatchAllForwardingAddress @bangtherockstogether.net
    and it works! great all email from both domains goes to the derivative account. Eample user@bangtherockstogether.net is the main account and he has 3 aliases: luser@bangtherockstogether.net, yuser@bangtherockstogether.net, and fuser@bangtherockstogether.net. If someone sends email to user,luser,yuser or fuser @btrtg.net -OR- @bangtherockstogether.net, user@bangtherockstogether.net recieves the email.

1st question ... is this the right way to do it or is there another best practise for multiple domains (the machine resolves as the MX for both domains: mail.btrtg.net and mail.bangtherockstogether.net). The actual hostname for the machine is phantom2 (for both domains) with an A record for both MX's

2nd question ... I'd like to have a mail identity set up so that if someone sends to btrtg.net I respond with a 'From' of the same address. Currently because it is aliased it's not an option in the GUI (just a drop down list of primary domaina accounts and aliases). Is this possible or is there another way to do this?

All help is greatly appreciated!!

Regards,
    Lonny
    Last edited by SpEnTBoY; 05-17-2007 at 01:15 PM.

no love here either? lol .... is this maybe just not possible?

I can answer your second question. To add from: addresses for a user use this command:
    Code:
    zmprov ma user1 +zimbraAllowFromAddress user1@btrtg.net
    Then user1 can set up an identity that will reply from the address user1@btrtg.net.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Comfort View Post
    I can answer your second question. To add from: addresses for a user use this command:
    Code:
    zmprov ma user1 +zimbraAllowFromAddress user1@btrtg.net
    Then user1 can set up an identity that will reply from the address user1@btrtg.net.
    Awesome thanks Dave! ... I should really familiarize myself more the the provisioning commands/syntax

Checking the usefulness of this command to my situation:
    Currently I have mail identities and allow sending from any address checked in the admin console.
    -It did not auto add an identity/send from address.

What I'm trying to do is setup an identity so the user doesn't have to.
    In this organization's final solution they will have 'allow sending from any address' unchecked. -It's a school that would be a bad idea.

I assume they would need to keep mail identities checked for this to work.

Some have previous address that we wouldn't mind allowing them to send from. But so the users don't have to set it up; I would like to auto/manually give them an identity/send mail from address.

(with your suggestions let me know if one/both of these boxes need to be 'on')
    Last edited by mmorse; 05-17-2007 at 02:16 PM.