Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Observations and Feedback

Default Gpl

We use GPL components, but not embedded in our server code - which is a big difference

Quote Originally Posted by marcmac
    We use GPL components, but not embedded in our server code - which is a big difference
    Agreed. I just assumed you would be able to pass the winmail.dat file to a binary TNEF extractor component without having to integrate the source code of the TNEF extractor into your server code. Thanks for answering my questions.

Default GPL is viral?

The GPL is a viral license...
    I was surprised by this statement from a company that seemed to be very open-source/GPL friendly. Perhaps just a slip of the tongue? The use of the word "viral" has been chosen by some compaines precisely because of the negative connotations of the word.
    The GPL, as with other licenses, has specified rights and obligations. Perhaps a different way to have made the statement would have been: "GPL code is not compatible with our business model." This would be a true statement without any hint that either party, the GPL or your company, was in any way at fault.
    Please understand that I am not trying to start a flame war... merely giving a gentle nudge to show that many do not agree that the GPL is "viral".

Mike

Default viral - mea culpa

When I made that statement, I used it descriptively, not judgementally - we are a GPL friendly company, but as you said, it's not always compatible with our business model. I guess "viral" does have some negative connotations (though, perhaps we shouldn't let anti-OSS companies frame the debate by co-opting the terminology, either).

...perhaps we shouldn't let anti-OSS companies frame the debate by co-opting the terminology, either).
    Very well said!

Thank you for the prompt reply and keep up the great work on a wonderful product.

Mike

Default TNEF/ Winmail.dat

Hi

Is there any progress on this? This is the only forum thread that discussed TNEF/Winmail.dat decoding, and there's no clear indication regarding whether this is being worked on or not.

I've got several users who are getting winmail.dat attachments, and they're keen to see this fixed

Quote Originally Posted by daniellawson
    Hi

Is there any progress on this? This is the only forum thread that discussed TNEF/Winmail.dat decoding, and there's no clear indication regarding whether this is being worked on or not.

I've got several users who are getting winmail.dat attachments, and they're keen to see this fixed
    It should be working in the 3.1 Network Edition. Not sure if we got it into the OSS Edition. Primary problem there was a license issue with the author.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Ok, thanks. We're actually migrating this site to zimbra network at the moment, but we're staging it out over a period of time due to mailbox migration and so on.

Can you confirm if this is fixed in 3.1 Open edition? If so, I'll do an in-place upgrade of Open today, which will at least keep the users happy until we can finalise the Network install.

Yes, TNEF attachments are supported in 3.1 open source.

Default Still a winmail.dat issue

Hi

The network edition is too expensive for us third world countries, so this means that a winmail.dat is a real problem if it persists in the open source version.

What can we do to fix this in an open source way?

John