Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Observations and Feedback

Default Observations and Feedback

Well I've got our first live real user converted from Outlook (no Exchange). A manager keen to trial Zimbra. 3000 Emails and about 300 contacts. I converted before that, but she is our first non-IT user.

Initially copying mail over using IMAP reset the dates to the date and time of the copy. They seem to have fixed themselves though. I did a reindex for that user today. Could that have fixed the dates.

My first install was a false start with CentOS 4.2. Now realise that it was probably just a hostname problem (Installer ran for hours and the system reported too many open files at some stage). Current install is on FC3 on a basic P4 2.4ghz with 512mb RAM.

At the moment fetchmail is pulling mail from our production mail server for trial users.

So far this user loves:

Tags
    Calendars
    Text auto complete... (especially the very fast list pulled from contacts + was very impressed that it targeted first name or surname or email address)
    Conversation View
    Search Builder (especially the speed of searches)
    Mouse over Sender for contact details
    Date links in emails

She is not so fond of:

A lot of her attachments are coming up as winmail.dat. This is in the mail copied in. Haven't seen one in a new message yet, but she hasn't had much email yet.

Can't open an attachment in the compose message view to check that she has got the right document. Has to leave Zimbra to find the file in Windows, open it, check it and then remember what it was and where it was to attach it. She would prefer to attach and then open with a double click to verify that it is the right file. Any plans to make this possible? (I guess she could probably right click and open from the browse window)

She liked Outlook 2003 poping up a notification that included the sender and subject for a new message (could then decide if it was urgent enough to leave what she was doing to deal with it). I guess Zimbra probably can't do that while minimised? Does anyone know of a little notification tool for Windows that gives the same sort of notification without a full mail client?

Edit.... forgot.... Is there any way to select multiple tags to filter messages? Eg ctrl+click to select more than 1 tag and display the results from that (or maybe tag tick boxes or something)
    Last edited by neilmc; 11-24-2005 at 07:58 AM.

Wow! Great post. We love to hear feedback like this and this helps us rank what features should go in next.

winmail.dat; yes this is a known issue. We plan o get TNEF (winmail.dat) support added in the future.

Compose/Attach: We'd need to upload the file first, but this would be possible. I'll add a RFE.

New mail notifier. We've got a small systray app we call the Toaster. It will do new mail notification like you suggest. Once we get time to cleanup the code we'll post it and the source for folks to look at and use. Our Win32 focus at the moment is Outlook so the Tosater will have to wait for now.

Multi-tag search: You can do this with the search builder. If you have 'always show search' option you'll see the search in the search bar to make this possible.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Thanks Kevin.

I've still got the IMAP folders set up in Outlook, so she can still get her attachments. I was hoping that there wouldn't be any reason to open Outlook, but understand that Zimbra is still in beta.

Re Compose/attach. Understand about the upload. I assume that Zimbra wouldn't need to then download the file again to view (pull it from the file system rather than the server)? At the moment I'll ask her to Right click the file in the browse window and open it from there. I don't think you can do that in Gnome though. I'll try it in Ubuntu when I get back to work. This was something that she thought negatively impacted on her productivity compared to OL2003.

We have a few mobile workers who almost never get access to broadband. I've started setting one of them up with dialup access to trial. I'm very impressed with how responsive it seems even on dialup (I think a lot of the client graphics were cached when I had it on the network). I imagine that opening attachments from the compose window would upset dial up users. Might want to do it but not understand why it takes so long.

I'll let her know about Toaster & I'll play with multi tag search.
    Last edited by neilmc; 11-24-2005 at 02:30 PM.

Default Another observation

Just another thing that doesn't seem quite right.... (I may well have missed something)

Sometimes people send mail with a silly number of people in CC rather than BCC. When reading this sort of message, the bulk of the reading pane is taken up with the To: part of the mail header. This section (the grey bit with From: To: etc) is not resizable (as far as I can see), leaving only 1 or 2 lines of text viewable at the bottom with a scroll bar.

It's on our list to make the header (to/from/cc) colapse(able) or something for this exact reason.

Default winmail.dat / TNEF support

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    winmail.dat; yes this is a known issue. We plan o get TNEF (winmail.dat) support added in the future.
    I searched BugZilla for this, but couldn't find anything. What is the status of this? Will Zimbra be using the TNEF extractor from http://tnef.sourceforge.net/ ?

Quote Originally Posted by mubley
    I searched BugZilla for this, but couldn't find anything. What is the status of this? Will Zimbra be using the TNEF extractor from http://tnef.sourceforge.net/ ?
    There is no bug for this. There are some licensing issues we are looking into with the TNEF extractor we plan to use.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Default Licensing issues

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    There is no bug for this. There are some licensing issues we are looking into with the TNEF extractor we plan to use.
    Hi KevinH,

Thanks for the quick response. Could you avoid the licensing issues you mention by using the TNEF extractor at http://tnef.sourceforge.net/, which is licensed under the GPL?

Default Gpl

The GPL is a viral license, so including GPL code in our server raises it's own set of licensing issues

We'll check out that converter, and others, and use the one that makes the most sense.

Default Gpl

Quote Originally Posted by marcmac
    The GPL is a viral license, so including GPL code in our server raises it's own set of licensing issues

We'll check out that converter, and others, and use the one that makes the most sense.
    I understand, I only suggested it since Zimbra already uses GPL components:
    http://www.zimbra.com/license/zimbra..._licenses.html

Will TNEF support be a BugZilla bug/RFE that can be voted on? If not, I'd like to add my vote here.