Thread: Help - Install tomorrow & a few questions

Hybrid View

Exclamation Help - Install tomorrow & a few questions

Hi all,

I'm a little desperate, hoping someone out there will help me out a little on this.

Our Exchange Server died today (2000 version) and I would like to try Zimbra as a replacement. Where I work is a non-profit, so costs are always an issue. I would like to use the open source edition right now since funds will not be available for a few months. (yes, today has stressed me out).

- Can I use the open source edition, then later get the supported edition?
    - clients are mostly win2k using IE 6.1 - are there any issues with this setup? Such as speed? Range of PC hardware - standard PC is 1gz with 256mb ram or so.
    - about 200 email accounts - of those, probably 50 or less will have hi activity.
    - Using AD on 2000 servers.
    - Right now I am thinking everyone is OK using the web edition - though that could change in the future.
    - User Account/Email procedure - I am assuming I make a User Account, then create the Email Account - Are there any "gotchas" with linking both to AD so users won't need to use two passwords?
    - Some users have their email forwarded to their home/personal accounts. Is this possible in Zimbra?
    - Backup and restores - Do I need special software etc? Or can it be done through Linux?

Sorry if these Qs are the dummy RTFM types - I am trying to get up to speed as fast as possible on this.

Thanks,
    Rob

Cool ZCS feature questions

Hi all,I'm a little desperate, hoping someone out there will help me out a little on this.
    Our Exchange Server died today (2000 version) and I would like to try Zimbra as a replacement. Where I work is a non-profit, so costs are always an issue. I would like to use the open source edition right now since funds will not be available for a few months. (yes, today has stressed me out).
    It happens, but you've stumbled upon an excellent solution!

- Can I use the open source edition, then later get the supported edition?
    Yes, usually referred to as the network edition (NE).
    For instructions on how to upgrade later see here: Moving_from_Open_Source_to_Network_Edition_ZCS
    For version differences see here: Compare Product Editions

- clients are mostly win2k using IE 6.1 - are there any issues with this setup? Such as speed? Range of PC hardware - standard PC is 1gz with 256mb ram or so.
    Strongly suggest using another browser such as Firefox.
    (I have a 500mhz with 128mb of ram on an old POS laptop that actually loads the AJAX client.
    The Basic HTML client (no cal and documents) can also be used when your on a slow connection, older browser, no javascript, older hardware etc.

- about 200 email accounts - of those, probably 50 or less will have hi activity.
    No problem at all, might want to give us your server specs.
    But consider this impressive test: ZCS Service Provider Benchmark
    - Using AD on 2000 servers.
    Authenticating against 2k servers shouldn't be a problem.

- Right now I am thinking everyone is OK using the web edition - though that could change in the future.
    The beauty of it is the range of options, AJAX (advanced), HTML (basic), Zimbra Desktop, outlook, thunderbird, evolution, ....ie any imap (or pop) client.
    - User Account/Email procedure - I am assuming I make a User Account, then create the Email Account - Are there any "gotchas" with linking both to AD so users won't need to use two passwords?
    For the NE edition there's an exchange migration wizard.
    The feature that you will be concerned with is in the admin console, domain authentication. (internal zimbra ldap, external ldap, or exchange server)

- Some users have their email forwarded to their home/personal accounts. Is this possible in Zimbra?
    Oh yes, and the user's can set up full mail fowarding or just do a new email notification (ie a small email that just contains the subject line-to let you know u have a full email at the other end. Or you can even easily (admin console) setup a forwarding account that only you know is taking place.
    - Backup and restores - Do I need special software etc? Or can it be done through Linux?
    Ah and you come to the fun part. The open source edition doesn't do live full and incremental backups, (though there are workarounds that I'm not going to address). However, if you can live with 10minutes of downtime when you want to backup, no sweat! The NE edition does high availability, live backups and a whole lot more. Once again: Compare Product Editions

Sorry if these Qs are the dummy RTFM types - I am trying to get up to speed as fast as possible on this.
    Thanks,
    Rob
    No sweat! The open source support is the forums; post as much as you want and we'll try to answer timely.
    One again, welcome to the zimbra side of life!
    Last edited by mmorse; 05-25-2007 at 02:18 PM.

You may be able to install NE, import exchange boxes and then downgrade to OS edition.

Obviously this isn't easy to suggest as it is abuse of Zimbra's very nice trial.

Smile

Thanks for the prompt responses. I'm really hoping that there are people on this board over the weekend, I might have some things pop up tomorrow.

- clients - forgot to mention that they are all on a 100mb LAN, with gigabit uplinks to the servers (no hubs, all switches). You also mentioned a number of email clients - are all of them available for the open source edition? I'm mostly interested in the "full" Ajax client.

- Outlook - I've seen some references to the Outlook Connector. I am assuming this is a non-free item that can't work with the Open Source edition? In the future we will probably want the connectors, but right now my goal is to get email up and running with a hyperlink on our intranet webpage pointing to the Zimbra web address.

- Firefox is an option in the future, I personally use it but as an organization we haven't rolled it out yet. Is the speed issue with IE that big of a concern? Even on a fairly fast network?

- Exchange - I can't use it for migration, it's completely down. My plan is to restore it after zimbra is up and running and find a way to transfer emails, but that is phase 2 of all of this. It is an old server that needs replaced.

- Backups - If I schedule backups for off-hours - say 4am - as I understand it, the email is down for the backup - but when finished goes back "on."? Or do I physically have to be there to make this work?

- MX records - I wasn't here for the Exchange install and am a bit "fuzzy" on how they work. Do I create this record in my local DNS? Or is this something for my ISP? I am going to give the Zimbra server the same static, internal IP as the old Exchange box - but with a different hostname (after removing the exchange box of course).

Thanks,
    Rob

Just as an FYI
    Zimbra only works with IE6 SP1+, FF, and Safari.
    and
    These boards will be down on Saturday for an upgrade starting at 2PM

-john

Question

sad to hear the board down tomorrow - hopefully I'll be done by then.

Server Specs:

Dual 1ghz PIII. 2gb RAM. 7 disks - (I think 9 or 18 g) - RAID 5.

Rob