Thread: How do I disable Amavis on outgoing mail

Hybrid View

LiljedahlPA Guest

Default How do I disable Amavis on outgoing mail

I really need to disable spamassasin and ClamAV on outgoing mail. Prefferably for mail originating from specific ip-addresses. If I try to send 10 000 email (a subscribed newsletter) the mailserver gets extremely slow with it enabled. Any idea on how to configure that? I know that I could set up a separate server for this, but I would prefer to be able to use the same mta as for other mail. Besides, I don't really see the need for it on outgoing mail anyway.

Usually, outgoing mail isnt scanned by amavis since application you are using to process the list will connect to the mail server of eatch email address in the list.

Do you have people in the list that could be considerated as local? If so, that might be your problem. Amavis is a perl application that will fork itself everytime it gets a e-mail to check till a specified value in postfix's configuration. If your mta has to send the emails and received some of them and at the same time process it for spam and virus check, that's why you would get the slow down.

LiljedahlPA Guest

Well, perl takes up most of the cpu so I assumed that it was amavis that was the culprit. It's sending just 2000 mail per hour and the server is extremely slow. Can anyone that knows how Zimbra is configured by default jump in here and clarify?

LiljedahlPA Guest

I made the mistake of using the gnome system monitor. Top shows that it is infact amavisd that takes most of the cpu time.

Using X too wont help too. On normal load, what's your load average? (output from the "uptime" command).