Thread: health and perf stats of zimbra

Question health and perf stats of zimbra

Hi,
    Besides the log files, zimbrastats.csv and the zmcontrol status command, are there other ways to determine the overall wellbeing of zimbra that I am missing?

Quote Originally Posted by scottf76 View Post
    Hi,
    Besides the log files, zimbrastats.csv and the zmcontrol status command, are there other ways to determine the overall wellbeing of zimbra that I am missing?
    How about Nagios?
    Attached Images Attached Images

thanks but I was thinking more along the lines of a zimbra API rather than deploying nagios.

thanks but I was thinking more along the lines of a zimbra API rather than deploying nagios.
    Hmmm...

What conditions are you concerned about that you are trying to monitor?

Wink

Just want to be thorough. So besides the metrics / status info in my first email is there anything else that you can think of?

thanks.

Just want to be thorough. So besides the metrics / status info in my first email is there anything else that you can think of?

thanks.
    I'm not sure how to respond...

When we set up monitoring for any server, we approach the question of "what to monitor" by listing what services, daemons, etc. which need to be functional for the end-user(s) to deem that the server is "working OK".

In creating that list, we document use cases of how the user(s) will be interacting with the system, and whatever they will rely on, we will monitor. If what they rely on has prerequisite dependencies, we'll monitor those, too.

Think about things like the number of emails in the Deferred queue for Postfix. Some number is normal. But if the number keeps increasing you might have an amavis problem, and since amavisd is frequently starting and destroying processes, there's not one or a few non-changing amavis processes you can monitor.

Too much monitoring isn't as bad as too little, but in our view, "less is more".

Does that help?

All the best,
    Mark

thanks Mark, maybe as I get more familiar with Zimbra and its components I'll have a better idea of what I want.