Thread: zmlogswatchctl is not running; Server status data not available

Default zmlogswatchctl is not running; Server status data not available

Hi,

I am running Zimbra "Release 4.5.1_GA_660.RHEL4_20070201175133 RHEL4 NETWORK edition" since a while. Every now and then the zmlogswatchctl was crashing but I was always able to restart it and the web Administrator Status interface was giving me the same info (while zmlogswatchctl was down) as "zmcontrol status" i.e. that everything was up except the logger which was not running.

Since some days out of the blue if I run zmcontrol status I get

antispam Running
    antivirus Running
    ldap Running
    logger Stopped
    zmlogswatchctl is not running
    mailbox Running
    mta Running
    snmp Running
    spell Running

and on the web Administrator Status interface:

Error code: service.FAILURE
    Method: ZmCsfeCommand.invoke
    Details:system failure: getting database logger connection

Server status data is not available. To see the server status, logger service must be installed.

On top if I start the zmlogswatchctl (/opt/zimbra/bin/zmlogswatchctl start)
    the service starts; stay up for few secs and then crashes again.

Everything else is ok, mails and everything are working fine.

What could it be? How could I fix it? I am a little scared to stop the server: what if afterwards even more critical things will not start? in the same way I want to do an upgrade but again .. I would prefer to solve the problem before.
    Do you think is it really "only" a logger problem or might it affect something else (such that after a restart of the whole zimbra/upgrade I would get in real trouble)?

I have seen in Logger - ZimbraWiki that there are some hints:

If "zmlogswatchctl is not running", verify whether A) the file /opt/zimbra/log/logswatch.pid exists, and B) there is a single /opt/zimbra/libexec/logswatch process.

A) the file /opt/zimbra/log/logswatch.pid does exist: what should I do? remove it? (I did it (actually I have run /opt/zimbra/bin/zmlogswatchctl stop), I have started zmlogswatchctl, but I have the same situation: up for few secs, then crash)

B) I have more (many) logswatch process but none of them with the pid contained in in the /opt/zimbra/log/logswatch.pid file. What should I do? should I kill them? which ones?

zimbra 30763 0.0 0.1 8392 4444 ? S 2006 0:00 /usr/bin/perl /opt/zimbra/libexec/logswatch --config-file=/opt/zimbra/conf/logswatchrc --use-cpan-file-tail --script-dir=/tmp -t /var/log/zimbra.log
    zimbra 3773 0.0 0.0 8788 3544 ? S Jan02 3:14 /usr/bin/perl /opt/zimbra/libexec/logswatch --config-file=/opt/zimbra/conf/logswatchrc --use-cpan-file-tail --script-dir=/tmp -t /var/log/zimbra.log
    zimbra 20087 0.0 0.0 9260 3428 ? S Jan25 0:00 /usr/bin/perl /opt/zimbra/libexec/logswatch --config-file=/opt/zimbra/conf/logswatchrc --use-cpan-file-tail --script-dir=/tmp -t /var/log/zimbra.log
    zimbra 12602 0.0 0.0 9960 1576 ? S Feb08 0:00 /usr/bin/perl /opt/zimbra/libexec/logswatch --config-file=/opt/zimbra/conf/logswatchrc --use-cpan-file-tail --script-dir=/tmp -t /var/log/zimbra.log
    zimbra 27194 0.0 0.0 8348 3244 ? S Feb19 0:00 /usr/bin/perl /opt/zimbra/libexec/logswatch --config-file=/opt/zimbra/conf/logswatchrc --use-cpan-file-tail --script-dir=/tmp -t /var/log/zimbra.log
    zimbra 1547 0.0 0.0 8164 2036 ? S Mar01 0:00 /usr/bin/perl /opt/zimbra/libexec/logswatch --config-file=/opt/zimbra/conf/logswatchrc --use-cpan-file-tail --script-dir=/tmp -t /var/log/zimbra.log
    zimbra 3573 0.0 0.0 8456 416 ? S Mar20 0:00 /usr/bin/perl /opt/zimbra/libexec/logswatch --config-file=/opt/zimbra/conf/logswatchrc --use-cpan-file-tail --script-dir=/tmp -t /var/log/zimbra.log
    zimbra 24156 0.0 0.1 9160 4184 ? S Mar30 0:00 /usr/bin/perl /opt/zimbra/libexec/logswatch --config-file=/opt/zimbra/conf/logswatchrc --use-cpan-file-tail --script-dir=/tmp -t /var/log/zimbra.log
    zimbra 15770 0.0 0.0 8416 3460 ? S Apr12 0:00 /usr/bin/perl /opt/zimbra/libexec/logswatch --config-file=/opt/zimbra/conf/logswatchrc --use-cpan-file-tail --script-dir=/tmp -t /var/log/zimbra.log
    zimbra 2705 0.0 0.0 8584 2468 ? S Apr25 0:00 /usr/bin/perl /opt/zimbra/libexec/logswatch --config-file=/opt/zimbra/conf/logswatchrc --use-cpan-file-tail --script-dir=/tmp -t /var/log/zimbra.log
    zimbra 13114 0.0 0.1 8880 4384 ? S May07 0:00 /usr/bin/perl /opt/zimbra/libexec/logswatch --config-file=/opt/zimbra/conf/logswatchrc --use-cpan-file-tail --script-dir=/tmp -t /var/log/zimbra.log

Default Hey!

try to disinstall the whole zimbra and reinstall i again.
    If it refuses, then we shall see another option.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by CatiaL View Post
    A) the file /opt/zimbra/log/logswatch.pid does exist: what should I do? remove it? (I did it (actually I have run /opt/zimbra/bin/zmlogswatchctl stop), I have started zmlogswatchctl, but I have the same situation: up for few secs, then crash)

B) I have more (many) logswatch process but none of them with the pid contained in in the /opt/zimbra/log/logswatch.pid file. What should I do? should I kill them? which ones?
    Stop your server with 'zmcontrol stop', kill any remaining processes that belong to Zimbra, delete the pid then restart Zimbra.

I suggest you do a full backup of your system and update to the most recent version of Zimbra.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Default Thanks!

Thanks phoenix: I did what you have suggested and it worked out perfectly:
    stop zimbra, clean all the "ghost processes open", start zimbra.

After that the installed version was working 100% again. Then I did an upgrade to the actual version (4.5.5) and it looks like it is working fine too.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Glad it's working.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Question 4.51ne rhel_64

Hi CatiaL,

this is now happening to me on 4.51ne rhel_64 how has u'r system been since the update?

if its ok can u post the steps to fix it
    TIA

I had the 4.5.1 version running. And I had the problem that I have described.
    What I did is the following:

1) zmcontrol stop

at this poin if everything would work fine there should be no zimbra running process. Since I had those logger "ghosts" there were still zimbra process running.

2) ps aux|grep zimbra

3) kill all still running zimbra processes shown with the above command

4) the zmcontrol stop should have removed the file
    /opt/zimbra/log/logswatch.pid
    too (in my case it did it). Check it. If it is still there remove it.

5) zmcontrol start

at this point in my case the logger was started nicelly and did not crash right away.

Then, since I already wanted to do an upgrade, I have upgraded to 4.5.5 and till now I did not have any problem anymore (only one logger and logswatch process running and no logger crash)