Thread: LDAP not working in Outlook but is in Thunderbird

Default LDAP not working in Outlook but is in Thunderbird

Hello,
    When accessing the LDAP directory from Thunderbird it works perfectly, but under outlook 2003 I get 'invaild DN syntax' - Can anyone offer a suggestion why it works in one but not the other? They both seem to be configured exactly the same.

Any help would be mcuh appreciated as this has had me stuck for days.

Thanks,
    Rjade.

Can you post your Outlook LDAP settings? I've successfully setup a few of my users with this configuration, so hopefully I can help.

Thanks for responding so quickly Soxfan, I figured out what was wrong about 10 minutes after posting!
    It was the authentication settings in the LDAP properties, removing the login credentials made the LDAP connection work and no more "invalid dn syntax" errors.
    I do have one other question for anyone using outlook, the GAL doesn't populate in the address book. The GAL can't be browsed and all entries have to be searched for, which is a bit of an let down after finally getting the damn thing working. Has anyone been able to work around this?

Thanks,
    Rjade.

In our migration process we are moving away from Outlook to using the Zimbra Web Client, however I have done some work with using LDAP as an address book in Outlook. I think the best you can do is to setup Outlook to automatically check the Zimbra LDAP address book when sending messages. I only have access to Outlook 2000 at the moment and there is a setting on the General tab of the LDAP that says "Check names against this server when sending mail". I know there is a similar setting in Outlook 2003. With this setting, when composing a message you can type a name, partial or full, and Outlook will go out and search against the LDAP address book. If it gets one match it will fill out the name (if it was a partial search) and underline it. If it gets multiple hits it will put a "squiggly" red underline on the name. You can then right click on the name and it will show possible matches to choose from.

Hope this helps.