Thread: User Masquerading

Default User Masquerading

My brain may not be functioning properly (its been a long day). I have a user that needs to be able to send messages from both the webUI and Outlook Connector and have his from address be different then his user account. This would be a lot like domain masquerading but at a user level, is this possible with a zmprov?

Default Email Address Possibilities

Quote Originally Posted by gmsmith View Post
    I have a user that needs to be able to send messages from both the webUI and Outlook Connector and have his from address be different then his user account. This would be a lot like domain masquerading but at a user level, is this possible with a zmprov?
    http://www.zimbra.com/forums/adminis...l-address.html:
    Quote Originally Posted by mmorse View Post
    The canonical address displays in the 'From:" field of messages that are sent.

So say your user account is: last@domain.com

You could use a canonical address to make it permanently look like mail is coming from: first.last@domain.com
    (easily set in admin console or via zmprov ma user@domain.com zimbraMailCanonicalAddress newfromaddress@domain.com)

To take the place of a fixed canonical address you can also use mail identities (in the option tab of each user) so the user can select when they want to appear as first.last@domain.com or first.m.last@domain.com or just last@domain.com
    Most people use Mail Identities to appear like their signed in to another service-send a message to personal friends without leaving your work account etc.
    So from zimbra you could send mail as user@gmail.com without switching clients/browsers/etc.
    However that would only take care of sending, you would need an alias address to receive mail at first.m.last@domain.com or first.last@domain.com.
    (which you can also easily set via admin console or via zmprov aaa accountname@domain.com aliasname@domain.com)
    There is a Bug 17404 open to 'Allow users to create aliases for themselves'.

Recipient Delimiter '+' plus addressing? is also an approach that can be used besides aliases:
    '+' which is common to most systems, would be for signing up for something say at me+amazon@domain.com
    Then when I start getting junk from sites I can see who they sell my email to/who leaked it, or filter to trash/junk.
    If I could use this solution myself...I have other outside mta issues...I would personally setup '-' to automatically tag/folder an incoming email.
    So if I send something to myself me-stuffforfirewall@domain.com it would file/tag with stuffforfirewall.
    Current method to do this:
    Code:
    su zimbra
    zmprov mcf zimbraMtaRecipientDelimiter +
    zmcontrol stop 
    zmcontrol start
    This could be duplicated with any 'standard' symbol such as my description on '-' etc.
    (some might have luck with just 'postfix reload' instead of a full reboot-but you might as well do the whole reboot)

You can have some interesting setup's domain wide as well:
    ManagingDomains - ZimbraWiki
    Last edited by mmorse; 06-06-2007 at 07:57 PM.

Default Wrap-Up

So in wrapup you got:
    Canonical Addresses > zmprov ma user@domain.com zimbraMailCanonicalAddress newfromaddress@domain.com
    Alias Addresses >zmprov aaa accountname@domain.com aliasname@domain.com
    Mail Identities
    Recipient Delimiter
    >zmprov mcf zimbraMtaRecipientDelimiter +

If you need more detailed commands/command line syntax let me know, but the GUI makes it oh so easy, especially because you said for one user and not a huge batch...
    Last edited by mmorse; 06-08-2007 at 01:27 AM.

Are you sure this works for email coming from the Outlook Connector? Doesn't appear to. The user belongs to domain1.com, they need to appear to be coming from domain2.com, but domain2.com can't be provisioned on the server since domain2 mail is received elsewhere (and there are many users for that domain).
    Last edited by gmsmith; 06-06-2007 at 08:00 PM.

It's supposed to rewrite all the 'from:' headers...
    Postfix.org - Address Manipulation
    sry not an outlook user-anyone else got input to that?

But outlook asside, does the concept work for your purposes?
    ie: from the web client/UI?
    Last edited by mmorse; 06-06-2007 at 08:03 PM.

Should have been clear in the original post (again, long day, sorry).

The webUI is working fine with Identities...its the Connector that is the issue.

I don't use outlook-Can you set up 'from identities' & 'reply-to addresses' in outlook-zimbra asside
    (but keeping your ldap/whaterver login the same-so that imap in zimbra is ok?)

0.0 second google search-heck I didn't even care to see what version of outlook
    http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/i/new_pr28.jpg
    http://www.helpdesk.umd.edu/document.../editsmtp2.gif
    Changing Your Email Address and Reply-To Address in Outlook XP - OIT Help Desk
    Last edited by mmorse; 08-20-2007 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmorse View Post
    Never used outlook-Can you set up 'from identities' & 'reply-to addresses' in outlook-zimbra asside
    (but keeping your ldap/whaterver login the same-so that imap in zimbra is ok?)

0.0 second google search-heck I didn't even care to see what version of outlook
    http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/i/new_pr28.jpg
    http://www.helpdesk.umd.edu/document.../editsmtp2.gif
    Changing Your Email Address and Reply-To Address in Outlook XP - OIT Help Desk
    Doesn't really work that way inside the connector. I suppose he could create fake pop/imap account, but that is kind of clumpsy.