Thread: Fedora Core 3 vs. RHEL 4 stability

Default Fedora Core 3 vs. RHEL 4 stability

Hi. I am currently running MC1 on Fedora core 3, and although i love this application, it is not as stable as i would like. 2x the machine has just gone down with out warning (ok..maybe there was some warning, but i am quite new to linux, so i didn't see any of the signs) and i was wondering about stability on different platforms.

has anyone tried running zimbra on both rhel and fedora core 3? does one fair better than the other?

just curious. we are going to be moving to a new server soon and i am trying to decide what flavor to run. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by drogers
    Hi. I am currently running MC1 on Fedora core 3, and although i love this application, it is not as stable as i would like. 2x the machine has just gone down with out warning (ok..maybe there was some warning, but i am quite new to linux, so i didn't see any of the signs) and i was wondering about stability on different platforms.

has anyone tried running zimbra on both rhel and fedora core 3? does one fair better than the other?

just curious. we are going to be moving to a new server soon and i am trying to decide what flavor to run. thanks.
    IMHO, RHEL4 is probably more stable than FC3. Dont you know that Fedora Core is kind of "testbed" for RHEL? Please note that RHEL4 costs quite a lot of money, so if you're have limited budget, you should consider using Centos (www.centos.org) which is built from the source code of RHEL and free of charge.

Talking about stability, one fact: Zimbra never dies unexpected under my eyes.

-g

Default centos

centos is free, but it's not supported - neither by redhat, nor, really, by zimbra - so for a production mailserver, if you go with centos, be aware that you'll be without official support...

Default centos

Centos has a wonderful support mailing list, and since it's binary compatible with RH Enterprise, if you ever do change your mind and need support, you can subscribe and get updates directly from RH. (Mostly on the mailing list you see people with RHES converting to Centos updates)

You are not binary compatible if you install any of the centos-plus packages, those are centos additions to the OS and then there is no going back.. (or at least it's much harder...)

I am testing Zimbra on CentOS 4.2, and it's rock solid.

M.