Thread: Folder structure and Apple Mail

Default Folder structure and Apple Mail

Hi,

One of our users is experiencing a notorious issue with Apple Mail, where folders do not appear where they should be.

This blog post sums it up the best - Hawk Wings » Blog Archive » A mendable Mail.app IMAP mailbox mess

From what I understand - to fix this issue, I need to give mail.app the correct IMAP Path Prefix. However, I'm having a bit of trouble figuring the correct prefix out.

*) Blank value - Folders appears outside the Zimbra mailbox (the globe thing as outlined above)
    *) mail, ~/mail, Mail, INBOX - All subfolders disappear. Only the Inbox is visible.

Any pointers?

TIA!

A follow-up & a sort of admission of defeat :P

Whilst investigating further, I've come to the conclusion that this doesn't seem to be possible.

Most mail servers store folders in a structure that looks like below...
    ---
    INBOX
    INBOX.Drafts
    INBOX.Sent Items
    INBOX.Trash
    INBOX.test1
    INBOX.test2
    ---
    So using a IMAP Path prefix in Apple Mail would work, & everything would show up under the Inbox.
    However, Zimbra uses the following structure...
    ---
    Sent Messages
    Deleted Messages
    Trash
    Contacts
    INBOX
    Drafts
    Sent
    ---

Oh well. The user seems happy to adapt to the new structure, so I've called it a day...

For what it's worth, I have a couple of our beta-test users who adamantly HATE the "separate" layout like Zimbra ends up with in Apple Mail (it took him about twenty minutes to explain the problem to me, since I've always had my mail in all my accounts set up the way Zimbra ends up, so I didn't notice a difference when I did our test install)

But for people who expect all their folders to appear under their Inbox, this can be really annoying to them. Not sure what the answer is, but let me just +1 the fact that it does annoy some users.