Thread: Implementing an zimbra/exchange hybrid environment

Hybrid View

Default Implementing an zimbra/exchange hybrid environment

I have a question I have not been able to successfully find the answer to on the net or these forums yet. Some background first to better get my question across. I work in an organization that has 2 separate IT infrastructures. One is an engineering group (which I work in) and there is a corporate one. We have a mostly separate environment with the exception of email and external internet access.

My question is I would like to setup Zimbra as a service to our non windows users (about 70 percent) as an alternative to exchange. However They also must have the option of being able to use exchange. In this I mean that this environment cannot be Exchange OR Zimbra it has to have both as an option and interchangeable as needed. The real features needed are only email and calendaring. Zimbra's other features can be worked in over time.

I realize this is a very challenging thing to do. But any pointers and tips in that direction would greatly assist me in getting started. My manager basically gave me carte blanche in doing what needs to be done. My challenge is that I do not control our exchange email infrastructure (the other IT department does) so Zimbra needs to work in concert with it (We can work with the other group to make this work we just don't have the admin rights over it.).

To add on basically they would be coexisting with each other. Emails on one need to mirror on the other. Calendar items are also a must to have sync over. Anything else we can get working beyond that is a bonus.
    Any pointers from anyone would be greatly appreciated. The plan is to implement this on RHEL4.
    Last edited by Cainum; 07-02-2007 at 12:14 PM.

I should clear up a bit what I need I realized re-reading this that it was not totally clear.

Calendaring and Email functions would be mirrored so mail and calendar items are viewable on both Exchange AND Zimbra. They would need to consistently sync. Is it possible to do that?

I know that a split domain is possible. But from what I have been reading it seems more like migrating a user over is an all or nothing deal instead of a way to mirror the environment. Due to the type of work we do a mixed OS environment is a necessity for us.

There was not alot written as to whether what I asked above is even possible.
    Thanks in advance.

Anyone at all? I suppose my next step is to call sales but I am still evaluating various options out there first. I do not just want to jump in until I know that what I am asking is possible to do. For the mods if this is indeed possible please contact me via this thread or at my email address which you should be able to see.

I am looking to set this up in a pilot environment. Once it has passed testing the goal is to roll it out into production to support around 2000 users. I am on my own in the fact finding process and once I have chosen a vendor I will go forward with the resources needed to implement this.

At this point I am just fact finding. Please reply and let me know if this is possible. I am hoping to find someone in the community that has done this OR an employee who can tell me this is possible to do.

While I was evaluating Zimbra I sort of tested this. You can sync Outlook to Zimbra as Zimbra stores the data. I didn't get many tests I wanted done as I didn't have access to a Windows box. So I can't tell you how well it picks up changes in Outlook when you sync-up with the Zimbra server after a change but I suspect it works well.

Outlook or exchange? I am referring to an Exchange server. I know outlook works just fine with Zimbra when configured properly. I need to be able to "mirror" an Exchange server. It seems possible but I need to know if it is possible since it is going to be a large part of our infrastructure.

I suppose I will need to contact sales. This is a large infrastructure project and I think they will need to get involved. But I would like to know here before contacting them.