Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saving a mailbox for a user you plan to delete?

Quote Originally Posted by sternfan View Post
    My authentication is set to AD only (not both).

I don't want to leave him in AD, I want to delete the account.
    As your removing him from AD then you really don't have to move him to the other domain (leaving 'hide in GAL' checked will be enough if you ever allow lookups from both later).

But if you move him-and the other domain doesn't use AD for the gal lookups that will be fine too (the two domains gal's won't interact by default)

Also for future reference:
    Account status determines whether a user can log in and receive mail...The following account statuses can be set:

-Active. Active is the normal status for a mailbox account. Mail is delivered and users can log into the client interface.

-Maintenance. When a mailbox status is set to maintenance, login is disabled, and mail addressed to the account is queued at the MTA. An account can be set to maintenance mode for backing up, importing or restoring the mailbox.

-Locked. When a mailbox status is locked, the user cannot log in, but mail is still delivered to the account. The locked status can be set, if you suspect that a mail account has been hacked or is being used in an unauthorized manner.

-Closed. When a mailbox status is closed, the login is disabled, and messages are bounced. This status is used to soft-delete an account before deleting it from the server.

Related:
    -LockOut. Users who try to log in and do not enter their correct password are locked out of their account after a specified number of consecutive failed login attempts. An account’s status is automatically changed to Lockout. How long the account is locked out is set by COS or Account configuration, but you can change the lockout status at any time.

Deleting an account:
    This removes the account from the server, deletes the message store, and changes the number of accounts used against your license.
    Note: Before you delete an account you can run a full backup of that account to save the account information.
    I can verify what you are saying - when I put the Zimbra server together I made a test domain. It still exists, and email accounts in it are not seen in the GAL.
    yup the default is set to DOMAIN
    zmprov gacf
    zmprov gd domain.com

fyi for others out there-you can always link the gal's across domains - ie: 1 single GAL for 2 domains
    zmprov modifyConfig zimbraGalInternalSearchBase ROOT
    Domains can inherit certain values from the global config if the value is unset on them. Try changing the global value and see if that also changes the value on the domains. If it doesn't, you'll have to run "modifyDomain {domain} ..." on each domain.
    Last edited by mmorse; 09-19-2007 at 06:10 AM.