Thread: Silly mistake -- now cant log into admin console

Hybrid View

Default Silly mistake -- now cant log into admin console

Hi everyone. My first experience with Zimbra, and hope to be running it for our charity soon! I love it.

The (background and) problem:
    1. On preparing for Zimbra install, I edited the ubuntu 6.06 /etc/hosts file associating my static IP with "mail.domain.com" domain instead of the what I wanted, "domain.com". Consequently, after installing Zimbra, all users have - "john@mail.domain.com" when I would like them to be "john@domain.com"

2. After install completed, I logged into the admin console with admin + password (as inputted in configuration on server) and I added another domain (domain.com) through the web interface. I then added some users including an admin. (Which i believed I gave admin access to -- apparently not!)

3. I attempted to remove the original domain (which was unneeded) and was prompted to remove all users before removing the domain. I removed (silly) the original admin@mail.domain.com account. (Consequently, when I clicked a button to continue working on the web console, the login prompt appeared (I was logged out of the admin console) and I cannot get back in with the original login (obviously) I tried logging in with admin@domain.com but it says user does not have admin rights -- appears there are no other users with admin credentials.

I assumed the admin console login was separate from the email login, and didn't even think about it when I deleted things.

I ran zmprov cd mail.domain.com zimbraAuthMech zimbra which says the old domain (mail.domain.com) still exists.
    I also ran zmprov ma admin@domain.com zimbraIsAdminAccount TRUE which gives an error: account.INVALID_ATTR_VALUE (zimbraIsAdminAccount must be TRUE or FALSE)

Have looked through the administrator pdf file and searched the forums (trying the above commands) with no success yet.
    Can I use the command line to add administrative rights to my new administrator (admin@domain.com) or is there another way to get back into the admin console???

Many thanks for you help!!
    Last edited by animasana; 07-05-2007 at 01:53 AM. Reason: add detail, punctuation

Welcome to the forums,

You could have just left that mail.domain.com there...

su zimbra

This will create an additional admin account with the password of 'test123':
    zmprov ca testadmin@domain.com test123 zimbraIsAdminAccount TRUE

This will transform a normal existed user account into an admin account (in this example futur-admin will become an admin) :
    zmprov ma futur-admin@domain.com zimbraIsAdminAccount TRUE

To change the password run:
    zmprov sp testadmin@domain.com NEW_PASSWORD
    once you try 'zmprov gaaa' can show you if it did become an admin account

EDIT:
    I also ran zmprov ma admin@domain.com zimbraIsAdminAccount TRUE which gives an error: account.INVALID_ATTR_VALUE (zimbraIsAdminAccount must be TRUE or FALSE)
    sounds like the sticking point
    what if you delete that user, then create it as admin off the bat ('ca' instead of the 'ma' method) ?

So did you migrate a bunch of users to this or could you just reinstall?
    Last edited by mmorse; 07-05-2007 at 03:02 AM.

Hi mmorse - you are SO right... could have just left the domain....
    have wasted the morning on this!! (honestly didnt think the admin console was directly related to the email address!)

Thanks for the help.

Updated the acct to an admin, then tried to run new password with:

do i have to do --
    zmprov sp testadmin@domain.com NEW_PASSWORD my-new-password

if I leave that blank (ie just what you suggested i run) does it leave the password blank?

One more question (related) --
    If I overstep my max. allowed incorrect logins in the admin console (as per the defaults - ie 10 in any given hour) can I reenable the account from the CLI? (even if its an admin acct?)
    Last edited by animasana; 07-05-2007 at 02:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by animasana View Post
    Updated the acct to an admin,
    so confirm that with zmprov gaaa

then tried to run new password with:

do I have to do --
    zmprov sp testadmin@domain.com NEW_PASSWORD my-new-password

if I leave that blank (ie just what you suggested i run) does it leave the password blank?
    That's where it meant for you to fill in the password - fill in the brackets ie: <your data here>

zmprov sp <admin email address> <desired password>
    If you still have two domains be sure to type the full address on login.
    To correct that: zmprov mcf zimbraDefaultDomain domain.com

EDIT: check if it's locked via 'zmaccts'
    Last edited by mmorse; 07-05-2007 at 02:51 AM.

AH! I see now.
    Ran it again (the right way) and then attempted to log into console -- successful! You are a star!
    Can I now remove the mail.domain.com domain which I do not need? Will I run into any problems?

I tried running: zmprov mcf zimbraDefaultDomain domain.com (where domain.com is the domain I want to keep) and received this error --

ERROR: account.INVALID_ATTR_NAME (invalid attr name: [LDAP: error code 17 - zimbraDefaultDomain: attribute type undefined])

-----
    Would still be interested re: the final point of my previous post (re: re-enabling acct from CLI). Again many thanks.
    Last edited by animasana; 07-05-2007 at 02:54 AM. Reason: update, detail

Quote Originally Posted by animasana View Post
    AH! I see now.
    Ran it again (the right way) and then attempted to log into console -- successful! You are a star!

Would still be interested re: the final point of my previous post (re: re-enabling acct from CLI). Again many thanks.
    peice of cake-I didn't see you ask before because you made so many edits...
    zmprov ma <account> zimbraAccountStatus active
    Last edited by mmorse; 07-05-2007 at 03:02 AM.