Thread: Ubuntu Breezy Hack.

Default Ubuntu Breezy Hack.

here's a quick hack to get the Debian Alpha release of Zimbra to install properly on Ubuntu Breezy.

Untar into the zcs directory (the one that contains zimbra's install.sh) and sh "coerce.sh".

Please note, this isn't really tested; so it might break your machine completely.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by adobrin; 02-07-2006 at 09:34 AM.

Default It worked, but with a caveat...

Thanks to adobrin for this hack!

It worked for me on Ubuntu Breezy with the current zimbra release for debian (zcs-3.1.0_GA_279.DEBIAN3.1).

However, there is one caveat. When I first tried to coerce my install, it was after a failed install with some packages already on the system. The coerce was unsuccessful in this case.

This was a brand new install for me, so to remedy that I did this:
    # NOTE: This will destroy any zimbra data you have on your system,
    # which for me was ok, as it was a fresh install...
    sudo dpkg -P zimbra-apache zimbra-core zimbra-ldap zimbra-logger zimbra-mta zimbra-snmp zimbra-spell zimbra-store
    rm -fr /opt/zimbra

After purging the packages and their info, and removing the zimbra install target, I re-ran "sudo sh coerce.sh", and everything seems to have worked so far.

Finally, a plea to the Zimbra developers: It looks like it would be a fairly simple modification to make this install run cleanly on Ubuntu. Please make those modifications. You'll notice that you are getting quite a bit of Debian interest, and I wonder how much of that is actually Ubuntu admins using this hack. ;-)

Thanks!

-Brian

File this is bugzilla and we'll add it to our list.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Default paypal payment

brian, that cash is coming over right away.

Default Dapper

Has anyone tried this on Dapper?

I've put a cleaner approach in the Wiki at http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?tit...tware_yourself

I describe how to modify the debs so that you have real Ubuntu debs that work somewhat hassle free. I found with the
    modifications to /var/lib/dpkg/status I had to keep running apt-get install -f to fix up the packaging system.

Default Works on Dapper

Quote Originally Posted by bluetoad
    I've put a cleaner approach in the Wiki at http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?tit...tware_yourself

I describe how to modify the debs so that you have real Ubuntu debs that work somewhat hassle free. I found with the
    modifications to /var/lib/dpkg/status I had to keep running apt-get install -f to fix up the packaging system.
    Thanks for this howto bluetoad!

I did a successfull installation on Dapper following your guide. The only thing I changed was using a newer version of the Debian Developer build: http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=188896