View Poll Results: What (currently unavailable) feature would you like to see soonest?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chat/IM (not GroupWare)

23 20.18%
  • Toaster (systray popup for windows)

24 21.05%
  • Document Workflow

23 20.18%
  • Lightening/Sunbird connectors

26 22.81%
  • Firefox/IE plugin (handle mailto calls)

23 20.18%
  • Shared Folders/GroupWare

75 65.79%
  • Read Receipts/Importance Indicator

20 17.54%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What (currently unavailable) feature would you like to see soonest?

Maybe all consider fixing some of the crucial enhancements:-
    1. Giving individuals the ability to create distribution list rather than commas separated email address in a single contact. Make the icon of distribution list different from single contacts.
    2. Autocomplete on GAL. Even Global Group GAL.
    3. Able to see who is in the Group distribution list in GAL or contacts.
    4. Select and send to multiple people at the same time.
    5. Ability like yahoo to edit the newly sent email address and give it a proper name.

Other inovative stuff is not as important than the common stuff you get on the thunderbird or desktop clients..... maybe good for sales people.

Other than that, Zimbra is just great....

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    Ideally there should be a bugzilla entry for each of these if there isn't already. This poll is helpful but in the end we'll use the votes in bugzilla to help rank/guide development in the upcoming releases. The bugzilla voting allows you to vote for multiple issues so you don't have to pick just one.

Maybe we can update each poll item with it's bugzilla number and link to it in the initial post so folks have easy access to voting.

Here's the current Top Voted Bugs/Features
    I understand that bugzilla is more the bread and butter, but that is limited to Network version users, right? That was my understanding. I like this poll because it gives us potential paying cusomters a chance to voice their opinion. Sharded/public Folders (calendars, contacts, etc.) is one of the major things holding my company back from purchase. Aside from that they are very excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavey
    I understand that bugzilla is more the bread and butter, but that is limited to Network version users, right? That was my understanding. I like this poll because it gives us potential paying cusomters a chance to voice their opinion. Sharded/public Folders (calendars, contacts, etc.) is one of the major things holding my company back from purchase. Aside from that they are very excited.

Not true at all. The bugzilla system is open just like the forums. Just register with your email address. There are some bugs that get marked as private when they contain customer or private email content, but by and large the bugs are all out there for anyone to see.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Default Why instant messaging?

I would tend to agree with unilogic's post.

Zimbra is a great email and calendar system, but it would seem to me that instant messaging is best handled by stream based platform (ie. not the regular http based browser technology).

I would recommend that instead of trying to build an IM client into Zimbra it would be integrate another project such as wildfire into the zimbra suite to provide a more stable IM platform (also, one based on the XMPP standard rather than Zimbra's own which if i recall is not XMPP based). I'm currently working on a wildfire user and group provider to link the two systems, which I will be publishing shortly if people are interested. Then I'll start looking at getting presence notification going the other way.

Perhaps instead of an IM client, Zimbra would do better to implement a more generic presence system which could also be linked to Asterisk intergration.

Comments would be much appreciated before I write any more code on this one!

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    I love Zimbra, it's changed the way I manage emails forever.
    However there are some nagging issues with missing features that need to be addressed. I think before tackling some of these high profile bells and whistles some missing/incomplete featrures need to be addressed. Simple things like:

- Better navigation of the contact list. Having an alphabetic shortcut button list would go a long way in improving navigation through contacts. I realize that you can just type the first letter in the search bar but to many this is not all that intuitive or familiar.

- The ability to have email lists... this is crucial. Creating a contact and packing 20 to 50 email addresses into a field designed to accept one is frustrating and I have yet to see this method send a message to more than the first address in the list. I think this is a show-stopper for many folks. Outlook, Thunderbird, Evolution all support this simple feature. I'm just say'n

- Persistent selection of calendars... it is maddening to have to go into my calendar page every time I log in to put a check mark on all my calendars in order for them to be visible and display all appointments on mouse-overs etc.

- More functional calendar reminders. Currently reminders only display within the Zimbra window. This is not very useful as you'd need to be looking at Zimbra all day in order to catch alerts. Also the ability set the notification time by event rather than globaly for all events.
    I totally agree with jimbo on these points! Other requests include:

- Allow the user to select more than one attachment at a time. It is tedious to have to keep clicking add attachment, select one item, ok, click add attachment.......Using Ctrl or Shift click to grab mulitple files at once is necessary.

- Have the reading pane turned off by default in message view. We have users that prefer the message view, but without the reading pane. Every time they login to Zimbra they have to turn off the reading pane.

- If you set the start time for an appointment to PM default the end time to PM also. I know this is small but it would be nice.

- Appointment repeat should allow you to choose days such as every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Right now you have to create a separate appointment on each of those days. A bit inflexible and I'm supprised this wasn't included already!

- When you click TO: so you can choose your mail recipents, have the global address list or local contacts show up instantly and be alphabetized. This is the worst one to me, having to search for every address manually.

We are currently implementing a trial run of Zimbra. If it is sucessful, we will switch to Zimbra. These are exacly what the users have complained about. And they need to be fixed ASAP!
    Last edited by Glennerd7; 05-04-2006 at 02:08 PM.

Thumbs up

like kevin said, the most efficient way to make enhancement requests is in bugzilla. if you can't find an existing entry go ahead and file a new one.

to address some of glenn's comments:

1. select more than one attachment at a time

this can certainly be tedious. you can, however, select all the files and "send" them to a zip archive and only attach a single file. i think we have a couple bugs open on this.

2. turn off the reading pane

http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6221
    Bug 6221 - Reading pane On/Off Preference or Sticky

3. appointment to PM default the end time to PM also

good for bugzilla. also try dragging new appointments.

4. Appointment repeat should allow you to choose days such as every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Right now you have to create a separate appointment on each of those days.

in the "QuickAdd" dialog, the "Repeat" field has the choice "Every Week". if you click "More Details..." and click the "Every Week (No end date)" link, you get a "Custom Repeat" dialog where you can select on which day(s) of the week the appointment will repeat, set an end date, etc.

5. click TO:...have the global address list or local contacts

we're working on some ways to make contacts more accessible, for example, gal-access for autocompletion. if there is a specific solution you'd like to see, definitely post it in bugzilla.

http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5893
    Bug 5893 - autocompletion should access the GAL

Build some type of failover/redundancy into the Macintosh version (similar to the clustering available on the RedHat platform). Apple already has many of the necessary components in place - IP Failover with heartbeatd/failoverd, XSAN (or even vanilla Xserve RAID) for shared storage.

Thanks for the tips Bobby. We did discover the recurring appointment on separate days now. I also have "voted" for both of the bugzilla entries you have listed in your reply. Lastly I have added a couple of enhancement requests to bugzilla to! Thanks again.

Default Mailman

Integration with mailman, please.

XMPP presense would go a long way and would be relatively simple I would think. Look at Lotus Notes and it's integration with SameTime. Next to a mail message from someone on your buddy list an icon appears that shows their status.