I'm going to preface this post by saying that most of my migrated users are having a great migration experience. All of the new Zimbra users that I have moved from an existing MerckMail webmail system onto Zimbra's web interface went perfectly, the Outlook users using POP migrated perfectly using the .pst converter and the Outlook Sync Connector, and for about 90-95% of the users, their new Zimbra life is filled with rainbows and unicorns.
However - not for the Mac users migrating from Entourage. Not at all.
I'm not even going to begin dealing with the hassle of moving old e-mails from Entourage into Zimbra, as far as I am concerned that is a non-issue that we won't even deal with, those e-mails are going to be kept in Entourage and referenced thru Entourage as needed, and moved on a need-by-need basis.
But here's the big issue that is causing a huge problem in our studio... How in the world can you effectively get your contacts out of Entourage and into Zimbra? I've tried the following, all of which were suggested on this board...
1. Suggested: Export each individual vCard out of Entourage and into Zimbra. Actual: Zimbra will not import vCards exported out of Entourage.
2. Suggested: Install Zimbra's iCal Sync, then sync Entourage with iCal, then import contacts from iCal into Zimbra. Actual: Contacts come in all kinds of jacked up, with all data in different fields than the ones in which they were created (ie: names come in in "Other" fields, phone numbers in address fields, etc).
3. Suggested: download shareware (suggested in one of the threads in this board, don't remember what the name of that one was) which would transfer all contact info from Entourage into Address Book, then sync Address Book with Zimbra via iCal Sync. Actual: contacts again come in extremely jacked up and disorganized, but in a completely different way (but equally disorganized way) than jacked up in Method #2. Now I have a user that has literally THOUSANDS of useless, jumbled contacts in their Zimbra Contacts. Fun, fun.
On top of the jacked up contacts, here's what else I've got going on - one user who HEAVILY relied on Calendars in Entourage spent an entire day transferring a few months of data to new shared Zimbra Calendars yesterday. Today, Mac boots up, iSync starts up, and the sync completely overwrote all - repeat ALL - of the calendars that had been created and shared with about twenty other users. "ANGRY" doesn't really do justice to the flurry of profanity I heard coming out of that office.
So here I am with a studio filled with people screaming "why did we change from Entourage in the first place?", "Our e-mail was working just fine beforehand, why did we move to this new server", "Where the f**k are my calendars I spent all day creating in this program you made us use", etc.
NOW - here's what I'm looking for...
1. Someone please tell me a PROVEN migration method to move users Contacts from Entourage to Zimbra. Please do not suggest beta versions or untested shareware, I have gone down that road and it does not work. This is happening in a real world, production environment with real live data and I can not / will not / do not have the luxury of trying out a theory.
2. If #1 can't be suggested, then someone please tell me how to first delete all the thousands of jumbled useless contacts in the Zimbra Address Book so I can start fresh, and then uninstall the iCal sync that is not working so it will not step on or erase anything I put into the now clean Zimbra Address Book. I'll hand enter all of these contacts from Entourage into Zimbra, it can't possibly take any longer than this exercise has already cost me.
Thank you for your time - any responses, even ones saying "yep, sounds horrible, glad I'm not you" are appreciated. Responses with actual answers would be nice as well. And let me apologize in advance for the snarky tone of this post, but it's been twelve hours of hell today and that means it's a half-day.