Thread: how to delete contacts that don't show up in Mac address book

Angry how to delete contacts that don't show up in Mac address book

Ok, I have a weird one here. I imported a list into a new address book in Zimbra's web client that I share. It added about 7500 contacts. I had the data formatted wrong so I deleted it. My mac suddenly started saying it was changing over 5% of my contacts would I like to continue. So I said no. This never went away. So I backed up my address book, said yes and then deleted my address book that had added the 7500 names. I then restored my address book to the original and thought everything was good to go.

Then my phone died (Treo 650), so I bought a iPhone. When I synced this new phone all 7500+ contacts showed up on it. Strangely, they still do not show up in my address book on my Mac. How can I get them out of my iPhone and reset the sync services data? (I think that is where it must reside. The contacts are not in my Zimbra account either. Where are they?

Help!

I'm not sure I have an explanation for this. If the 7500 contacts aren't showing up in AB or your Zimbra mailbox, it's hard to believe they're still in the Sync Services database. But I suppose anything is possible.

Have you tried resetting sync history from the iSync app? If not, that might be something to try. Fire up iSync, go to Preferences, and click on Reset Sync History.

Sorry I could not be more help.

Take care,

Scott

Unhappy resetting iSync

I treid resetting iSync and it asked again if I wanted to add 7500 contacts to my address book. Is there a cache for sync services in a library somewhere? I can't figure out what else it could be.

The cache is in ~/Library/Application Support/SyncServices. The problem is this...if the iPhone has the 7500 contacts in it, merely deleting the cache won't accomplish much. The next time you go to sync, the iPhone will push all 7500 contacts back to Sync Services.

I'm thinking what you might want to do is the following:

1) Disable syncing in the Zimbra iSync Connector temporarily
    2) Say yes to allowing all 7500 contacts to be loaded into AB
    3) After it loads all 7500 contacts in AB, delete the 7500 (is this possible? Will it be easy to tell which ones to delete?)
    4) Sync your iPhone (this should delete all the 7500 contacts)

I'm guessing here however. I'm not sure why you're seeing what you're seeing, so it's hard to say definitively what to do.

You could also go the route of deleting the SyncServices folder, but I'm not sure how that will fix the 7500 contacts already loaded on your iPhone.

Let me know what you think and maybe we can come up with something that makes more sense.

Thanks,

Scott

Default Solved

OK, Ihere is what I did that worked.
    1. I went to the Zimbra sync preference pane and hit reset. Which deleted all of my data.
    2. I then went and restored my Mac address book with the correct data.
    3. I re-connected to the zimbra server and synced with my new data.
    4. Synced my iPhone and under the info tab, checked under tyhe Advanced section, Contacts to replace current contacts.
    5. All extra contacts are now gone.

Thanks for the suggestion. It seems to have worked!
    Kiar

marking as solved
    EDIT: take that back-I can't in this section