Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zimbra Apple iSync Beta

Hybrid View

Default Zimbra Apple iSync Beta

The Zimbra iSync adaptor is now available for private beta for Network Edition customers and Network Trial participants. We've made it very simple for Mac user's to sync their calendar and contact data with Zimbra. There are no additional software packages needed. Zimbra will sync naively with your Apple iCal and Apple Address Book. The Zimbra iSync connector requires Mac OSX 10.4.1 or greater, and is currently certified to run against ZCS 3.0.1 Network Edition.

If you would like to participate in the private beta and are already a Network Edition customer or have been activated in our support system then email your sales rep for access to the beta. If you'd like to trial Zimbra's Network Edition please register for a trial. NOTE: Anonymous or free mail (gmail, yahoo, hotmail, etc) registrations will not be allowed to participate in the iSync private beta. You must register with an enterprise or corporate email account and complete the entire trial registration to be considered for the private beta.

Screen Shots
    Last edited by KevinH; 03-05-2006 at 03:34 PM.

This is very cool and exciting news!

I'm assuming that this will be open sourced once it is out of beta?

Quote Originally Posted by besson3c
    I'm assuming that this will be open sourced once it is out of beta?
    It's not been decided yet. For the time being it will be Network only. We want to make sure our customers and prospective customers get first access and can influence changes or features.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    It's not been decided yet. For the time being it will be Network only. We want to make sure our customers and prospective customers get first access and can influence changes or features.

To me, the compelling advantage of the paid version is the support and enterprise level features designed for environments where Zimbra may ultimately replace Exchange. In a University or business setting, it is easy to allocate money for this given the promise of support, as long as the pricing is cheaper than MS Exchange.

However, I don't have 50 users or $1450 to toss at this thing yet since I don't manage email for a business with a lot of users (although I may in the very near future). To me, the connectors are absolutely vital and an extremely compelling reason to invest my time into this option at all. The connectors working damn well are also in the best interests of the Zimbra project too, which may benefit the greatest in being opened up (esp. as Zimbra gains momentum, if this hasn't already started

My vote would be to focus on selling enterprise level support and complete "blackbox" type solutions for these larger groups that can justify this expense, while not crippling the open source version by removing the connectors. I think Zimbra will have great value for smaller businesses and hobbyists too, and I think that this sort of usage can only help Zimbra in gaining momentum so that it starts to rake in the cash on sales within the enterprise.

Just my two cents.

The Network Edition is not just about connectors. See my response here on a similar post regarding the Outlook connector. In your mind you can replace Outlook with iSync.

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/showpos...64&postcount=3
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    The Network Edition is not just about connectors. See my response here on a similar post regarding the Outlook connector. In your mind you can replace Outlook with iSync.

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/showpos...64&postcount=3

I'm not sure how the word "Network" is being used in this post. By network do you mean "community"?

There is nothing to be ashamed of if one of the goals of the project is to make enough money to sustain itself, I don't have a problem with this premise or in stripping some features out of the open source edition, making money is not a bad thing. My tentative opinion is simply that Zimbra can do really well by focussing on targeting Enterprise users in the commercial edition, and everybody else in the open source edition. To me, the connectors are not enterprise features, but very compelling general-use features.

I don't want to sound argumentative here, just offering my two cents as a form of feedback.

It sounds like you want everything - connectors, backup, etc - all features - in the community edition, with paid support. But you're not in a situation to pay for support.

Quote Originally Posted by besson3c
    To me, the compelling advantage of the paid version is the support and enterprise level features designed for environments where Zimbra may ultimately replace Exchange. In a University or business setting, it is easy to allocate money for this given the promise of support, as long as the pricing is cheaper than MS Exchange.

However, I don't have 50 users or $1450 to toss at this thing yet since I don't manage email for a business with a lot of users (although I may in the very near future). To me, the connectors are absolutely vital and an extremely compelling reason to invest my time into this option at all. The connectors working damn well are also in the best interests of the Zimbra project too, which may benefit the greatest in being opened up (esp. as Zimbra gains momentum, if this hasn't already started

My vote would be to focus on selling enterprise level support and complete "blackbox" type solutions for these larger groups that can justify this expense, while not crippling the open source version by removing the connectors. I think Zimbra will have great value for smaller businesses and hobbyists too, and I think that this sort of usage can only help Zimbra in gaining momentum so that it starts to rake in the cash on sales within the enterprise.

Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by marcmac
    It sounds like you want everything - connectors, backup, etc - all features - in the community edition, with paid support. But you're not in a situation to pay for support.

No, I don't care about the backup (I can handle that myself), clustering, rebranding or even built in spam controls (my server is already doing that). I don't even need multi-domain stuff, just the basics: contact/calendar server, connectors for contacts, web client, ability to subscribe to and publish calendars via iCal and similar apps, whatever else would be necessary to facilitate a few people collaborating together on various projects.

Zimbra seems to be really aiming for the stars in trying to replace Exchange in the workplace. That is a great and noble effort. However, it also seems like Zimbra is flexible enough to work out for much smaller and more modest environments too. I say, unless it counters Zimbra's design and makes life difficult for the developers, you guys should try to penetrate as many different markets as possible. Go for market penetration and volume in recouping your costs rather than just limiting yourself to Enterprise customers. There are plenty of markets out there just chomping at the bit for a solid Groupware product like this, all sorts of people can benefit from this.

Just my opinionated two cents, but since I've already offered my two cents I guess you have lots of extra change now

P.S. Zimbra is damn impressive. I'm really looking forward to being able to use it in FreeBSD! I'm trying to be patient Although I might not be successful in conveying this, I'm very appreciative of your efforts and am cheering loudly for this project!
    Last edited by besson3c; 03-06-2006 at 11:07 PM.

Default other type of sync

i read in some threads here, that you are evaluate/prepare native solutions also for other platforms, not only isync.

I ask, because my company is searching for a groupware tool. but the keypoint is the sync with pim's.

Windows is not the solution, because the plan is use Linux everywhere...

can you give some infos about the state and the plan?

PS: sales department is not a solution

Quote Originally Posted by ojehle
    i read in some threads here, that you are evaluate/prepare native solutions also for other platforms, not only isync.

I ask, because my company is searching for a groupware tool. but the keypoint is the sync with pim's.

Windows is not the solution, because the plan is use Linux everywhere...

can you give some infos about the state and the plan?
    What devices do you have? If the device support SyncML then you should be all set.

Quote Originally Posted by ojehle
    PS: sales department is not a solution
    Maybe... but it sure makes it a bit easier to pay our bills. In general they have the tools and ability to track who wants what. So while I do refer to sales@zimbra.com it's because they have the tools to track which customers or prospective customers want certain features. So when iSync was ready it was trivial for them to notify the folks who had interest in that functionality. Similar when we first released the Outlook connector. This will also be the same for SyncML and Treo/PocketPC sync when they are ready for beta.
    Last edited by KevinH; 03-07-2006 at 07:22 AM.