Thread: Syncing cals via CalDAV is only available option

Hybrid View

Default Syncing cals via CalDAV is only available option

Using Zimbra 5.0.8, Leopard, and the current iSync connector.

After installing the iSync connector, the option to sync calendars via iSync is not appearing. Only the CalDAV option appears. Any ideas?

Shawn

That's correct. CalDav is the standard for accessing calendaring data. We really try hard not to tie our users into a proprietary protocol/format.

Sync Services is Mac only. CalDav is multi platform. The way it used to work was through our Soap interface, but now it's all standards based.

Quote Originally Posted by jholder View Post
    Sync Services is Mac only. CalDav is multi platform. The way it used to work was through our Soap interface, but now it's all standards based.
    Hi John-
    Thanks for the response. Can I ask a couple of clarifying questions?

(assuming one is sync'ing calendars only and not contacts)
    As far as I can tell, it seems like the connector now just twiddles iCal so that it subscribes to the server's calendars via CalDAV and doesn't actually do any iSync stuff itself. Is that true?

The place where I get a little fuzzy is that there is now a "refresh calendars every N minutes" setting in iCal and and a "Sync every N minutes" in the connector. What exactly is the iSync connector syncing when that value is set to something other than "manual" if iCal is doing all of the work to pull/push CalDAV entries?

-- dNb

P.S. And if you want to answer a bonus question: contacts are still sync'd over SOAP, right?

Dear John

Quote Originally Posted by dNb View Post
    Can I ask a couple of clarifying questions?
    Could you please take some time and explain dNbs questions? I am actually struggling and this would explain very much in the way Zimbra works.

Thank you very much in advance!
    - Dan

John,

Echoing Dan's request. I just assisted one of our customers with this exact issue today. I installed the iSync connector. Only CalDAV shows up as an option (as expected). I select that and do a sync. The customer already has three calendars in her iCal, all of them put into one group. I would've expected the iSync connector to sync all the calendars to her Zimbra account on our server, but it doesn't. However, if I create an entry in her Zimbra calendar, it does sync it to a new "Calendar" entry in iCal (the default Zimbra calendar) from her Zimbra account. Her already existing iCal calendars use the MobileMe service.

Subscribing to the published webcal: links for those calendars, I was able to get them into her Zimbra account, but if I don't do it that way, they don't sync to her Zimbra account. Why? What am I missing here?

Thanks.

We have started a Zimbra migration and one of the reasons why we are moving to Zimbra is because of intergration with iCal if it can't sync with the local calendar store it is going to be useless to us. When accepting appointments Apple Mail it doesn't put them in the Caldav Calendar, it doesn't even give me the option to put it there unless I drag and drop the isc file into the Caldav Calendar.

It appeared you were able to sync local calendars for a long time until Mac OS X 10.5 is there a fix coming or am I going to need to figure out some other way for my users to manage their calendar outside of the Web Client?

Quote Originally Posted by zstukov View Post
    We have started a Zimbra migration and one of the reasons why we are moving to Zimbra is because of intergration with iCal if it can't sync with the local calendar store it is going to be useless to us. When accepting appointments Apple Mail it doesn't put them in the Caldav Calendar, it doesn't even give me the option to put it there unless I drag and drop the isc file into the Caldav Calendar.

It appeared you were able to sync local calendars for a long time until Mac OS X 10.5 is there a fix coming or am I going to need to figure out some other way for my users to manage their calendar outside of the Web Client?
    I think you might be totally misunderstanding what CalDAV is. iCal supports CalDav. We work closely with the iCal team to make sure that Zimbra plays friendly with it.

This really has absolutely nothing to do with Apple Mail. Basically, if the calendar exists on the server (with appointments, etc), it will exist in iCal via CalDav.

Maybe I wasn't being too clear in Tiger 10.4.11 I can sync the local calendars in iCal with Zimbra in 10.5.4 I can't, I can only do it over CalDav. I need to be able to sync the local calendars. Is that a bug with iCal or a bug with the Zimbra iSync plugin?

Default CalDav iCal with Web Client Issues

As I am trying to find a viable solution for an exec who manages other people's calendars, I've come across at least 2 issues using CalDav and it's incorporation into Zimbra one 1 test users calendar. I am running 5.0.8.

1. If I'm on a Mac running Leopard, and I change the reminder of an existing appointment within iCal (it is using CalDav), the web client entry of this same appointment will change the reminder time as well. The issue is that the Web Client entry will not pop up a reminder, but the iCal entry will.

2. The other issue I've noticed is that in iCal I can't use find a location to actually reserve a conference room or set the location correctly in a Calendar Entry. It doesn't register on the web client entry as having reserved a location for a meeting.

Question

If I'm a Mac OS Tiger user and the latest Zimbra products for Mac use CalDav, will I be able to use the latest Zimbra Mac related products?