Thread: Auto refreshing CalDEV on 10.5 with iCall.app closed

Default Auto refreshing CalDEV on 10.5 with iCall.app closed

I currently use the iSync solution against our 5.08 (soon to be upgraded) server on OSX 10.5.5. It works very well. I see from this forum that this is depreciated so in a test account I am trying out CalDEV. I seem to be having the following problem but can't figure out enough details to file a bug report.

I also make use of applications like iCal Events widget that read from the iCal database. It seems that regardless of the setting in the Zimbra preference pane for frequency of refresh, that when I am using CalDEV instead of iSync that the iCal application HAS to be open in order to pull down new events from the server. Is this true? That would be a regression in the behavior of the sync.

Since I am trying to move myself away from the iSync (in order to give the CalDAV a fair shake, plus I no longer have an installer for the older iSync connector so I am giving up) I am testing this right now...

Alas, even though the CalDAV implementation has come a long way (due to efforts by Zimbra and Apple engineers no doubt) there are still some limitations. I guess leaving iCal open is the best way around that?
    Version 6.0.16_GA_2998.NETWORK Apr 4, 2012 MACOSXx86
    Xserve 2x Dual Core Xeons 10GB with Xserve RAID

A cheap workaround for me is having iCal launch at startup and in the background. Anybody else seeing that iCal has to be open to maintain sync via CalDAV?
    Version 6.0.16_GA_2998.NETWORK Apr 4, 2012 MACOSXx86
    Xserve 2x Dual Core Xeons 10GB with Xserve RAID