Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bidirectional sync with Google Calendar?

I did about a 6-9 months ago. Although, I didn't try it with Google Calendar. Google Calendar in itself was just another attempt at solving the particular problem we had. Overall the Zimbra Funambol connector worked fine. It was pretty easy to install. However, we ran into issues with recurring appointments and time zones, which got jumbled, and that was a deal breaker. Perhaps those issues have been resolved at this point.

Smile Slight work-around

I found a workaround to get the basic functionality going here. I was looking into it so that I could sync my Zimbra calendar with my Droid. What I was able to do was using the Zimbra Outlook connector I sync my Zimbra calendar to my Outlook. Next I have the Google Sync connector found here: Sync with Microsoft Outlook - Google Calendar Help that allows a bidirectional sync to Google Calendar. This allows for my "Zimbra" calendar to sync to my Google calendar bidirectionally. I haven't fully tested if I can update my calendar from Google, but I believe that this will allow me to accept and reject calendar invites in Zimbra from my Droid. My droid is able to see my Zimbra calendar this way using the Google sync in my Droid.

Hopefully this helps. So far so good for me.

Thank you for that, but what about us, who do no have or do not want to have MSOutlook....

If you are using the Zimbra Connector for Outlook, then you are using Zimbra NE, which supports ActiveSync for over-the-air mobile device sync. Couldn't you just sync your Droid to Zimbra using ActiveSync, and sync your Droid to Google, thus merging your two calendar sources into a single calendar on the Droid?
    Freddie

Smile Unfortunately no

No, for whatever reason the Droid doesn't support Caldav and so I cannot sync directly. But using Outlook as the "Converter" from Caldav to the google calendar I can sync directly to my droid. It's a shortcoming in the droid and not in Zimbra on this one, but i have been using it today since I set it up and it seems to be working great for me. (For all of you droid users with my same problem)

marshall1727 I don't know if there is anything else for those of you that don't have/want MS outlook. But it does seem to work. (You might be able to use the same setup with Thunderbird (with lightning) or Sunbird and the google connector.) It might work the same as with the outlook settings but I don't know I haven't explored that option.

well, that could probably work, but the reason for looking at zimbra was to get more complex solution and even get rid of TB.

Quote Originally Posted by jtitus008 View Post
    No, for whatever reason the Droid doesn't support Caldav and so I cannot sync directly. But using Outlook as the "Converter" from Caldav to the google calendar I can sync directly to my droid. It's a shortcoming in the droid and not in Zimbra on this one, but i have been using it today since I set it up and it seems to be working great for me. (For all of you droid users with my same problem)
    No, don't use CalDAV. Use ActiveSync. Android supports Exchange ActiveSync, and Zimbra allows ActiveSync. Just configure the ActiveSync profile, and it will keep the mail, contacts, todo, and calendar apps in sync with the Zimbra server. And the Google side will be handled via the local Google Sync profile.

Or, did Motorola (or the carrier) deliberately disable ActiveSync support on the Droid?

(You'll need to enable the Mobile Sync option in the CoS, or for your user, on the Zimbra server.)
    Freddie