Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mac OS/X 10.6 Snow Leopard

Default Mac OS/X 10.6 Snow Leopard

Is the new snow leopard exchange integration compatible with Zimbra? Or will Zimbra support snow leopard in the upcoming 6.0 release?

Thanks

It's the number 1 zimbra/mac support question here as well. After the announcement of Snow Leopard (10.6) yesterday and it's Exchange compatibility, my customers ask me:

* will it work right out of the box (as with the mobile devices) without the need to install any extension

* will there be a new connector that gives us all the features

* will it work as it works now

Frank

Zimbra 6.0 will be out before Snow Leopard, the only people able to answer this question before that is released will be developers who are seeded with the early releases and I dont know if anyone in Zimbra HQ will get that. If they do, then a straight answer can be given.

If to that point, if we take what we know, then I'd go with an answer of "yes, out of the box".

The iPhone currently believes that Zimbra 5.x is an Exchange server, and Zimbra 6 will make that even better as it seems to support the extra bits of the protocol such as remote wipe, shared calendars, GAL access etc. It's reasonable to assume that as the iPhone runs a version of OSX, then OSX will use the same machanism to access Exchange as iPhone does. Thus is iPhone works with Z6, then so will OSX 10.6

Good news. I hoped so as well, but as Outlook needs a connector to connect to Zimbra ...

A colleague is a registered developer, but don't know if he has access to the 10.6 beta's. I'll ask him and let you know!

Quote Originally Posted by frankske View Post
    Good news. I hoped so as well, but as Outlook needs a connector to connect to Zimbra ...

A colleague is a registered developer, but don't know if he has access to the 10.6 beta's. I'll ask him and let you know!
    i've been testing with a dev. preview of snow leopard (not the build they released yesterday), and exchange doesn't work with zimbra 5, at least i couldn't get it to.

That's what I was afraid of, unfortunately...

Any statement from Zimbra here?

It all comes down to whether or not Apple is using ActiveSync protocol (which Zimbra supports) and not OWA or MAPI or some other MS thing that makes my head hurt.

On the upside Zimbra provides a bunch of other options for Mail/iCal/Address Book... May not be exactly what you are looking for but I have zero information right now.
    Version 6.0.16_GA_2998.NETWORK Apr 4, 2012 MACOSXx86
    Xserve 2x Dual Core Xeons 10GB with Xserve RAID

* Looks in the direction of the Dev's *

* taps foot... *

Let me bump this thread. We have a substantial mac user base and we'd like to be ready for the release of snow leopard as we are expecting a very high adoption rate. We'd very much like to see some early reports here.

I was comparing Zimbra and Exchange, with a userbase including a fair percentage of Mac people, so I followed developments on all three fronts for a while. I don't have any inside information, but I expect that Snow Leopard will use Exchange Web Services if it doesn't use ActiveSync. EWS is also what the next version of Entourage, which has been in beta for a few months, will use.

As for Zimbra, Snow Leopard will offer improvements since Zimbra 5.0.17 + Snow Leopard will support Calendar Delegation and proper attendee lookups/autocompletion. See

Bug 26619 - Include necessary LDAP attributes to provide ical oattendee lookups
    Bug 21489 - CalDAV: Add support for calendar delegation
    Bug 38350 - Need to add preference to enable iCal style delegation

Somehow I suspect that the fix for Bug 21490 - CalDAV: Add support for availability might also ultimately require Snow Leopard, but that's just a guess based on intuition.