Thread: iSync-ing Address Book and its effect on Mail

Hybrid View

Default iSync-ing Address Book and its effect on Mail

I work at a company that just adopted Zimbra as our mail client (I'm actually an early adopter), and I've gotten Zimbra to play quite nicely with my work calendar (in iCal) with CalDAV and the mail to play nicely with the web client through IMAP. Now, I've downloaded the iSync connector to sync up my address books.

The syncing works fine, but when I subsequently opened Mac Mail, I had a new mailbox folder called "Contacts," which isn't a big deal until I try to do searches on my mail and the contacts show up. Is there a way to not have this random mailbox show up in my Mac Mail?

I was going to tell you to unsubscribe (Get Account Info > Subscription List>) but...then again, in my case, the list of IMAP folders don't show up there.

Now I'm thinking it's an IMAP problem in that, when there's entries in the Zimbra client address book, it creates a "contacts" folder on my Mac Mail, which connects to our hosted Zimbra via IMAP. The biggest problem is that it's redundant to have a "contacts" folder show up in my Mac Mail, because all those contacts are in my offline address book to begin with.

See (and maybe vote for): Bug 6418 – IMAP: hide or limit access to additional contacts and calendar folders

see also: Bug 6019 – expose contacts via IMAP

In short this is a deliberate feature of Zimbra, bumping into the limitations of some programs (such as Mac Mail but also iPhone) that don't let you specify which folders you want to "subscribe to" over IMAP or ActiveSync.