Thread: iSync Connector / Apple Address Book Problems

Hybrid View

Default iSync Connector / Apple Address Book Problems

RE: Zimbra iSync Connector version 4.5.441

I use the iSync connector to sync my office Mac, my home Mac and my MacBook to my Zimbra account. The iCal syncing seems to be seamless. The Address Book syncing is very buggy.

Some of the problems include:
    1.Duplicate address fields appearing in my Address Book contacts.
    2. My Address Book groups seem to lose the contacts inside them.
    3. In the individual Address book contacts, the "company" box becomes unchecked, resulting in all my contacts becoming individuals, as opposed to some being listed as companies.

The problems listed above relate to the Address Book data, the data on my Zimbra Web account does not have these problems. I have tried resetting my sync data (both ways), Resetting up my account. Trashing preference files. Resetting sync history in iSync preferences etc. But I seem to continue to have these problems.

Default Re: iSync Connector

Sorry to hear you're having some problem w/ Address Book syncing. Couple of things to note:

The connector doesn't sync AB groups. This wouldn't however explain why you are seeing AB groups "losing" the contacts. Can you explain more fully what you're seeing?

There was a bug involving company contacts not honoring the company flag. That bug was fixed however, and I just verified the fix is in the latest connector.

As for duplicate address fields, can you explain under what circumstances this seems to be happening?

Thanks,

Scott

Default iSync Coonector/Address Book

1. The problem I'm seeing with the groups is that on occasion after syncing I will find my group titles are all visible, but the contents of those groups has vanished in my Address Book. The only fix that I've had success with is going back to a previous back up of Address Book data.

2. On occasion after syncing. I will find that I have multiple email address, telephone number and address fields in my Address Book contacts. While the data in my Zimbra web account seems to be fine. An example might be, I will have an Address Book contact with one phone number, one email address, one street address. After syncing, I might see an addition copy of the email address appear as a "Email 2", same address, just duplicated in another field. Or I might have a "Work" street address in my contact, after syncing I will see "Work", "Home", "Other", all with identical address...

Thanks,
    Jon

Default re: iSync Connector

Well the groups bug doesn't sound like an iSync Connector issue. I'm not sure what could be causing it, but the iSync Connector doesn't modify group membership in any way. It sounds like more of an AB/Sync Services problem.

As for the duplicate data, can you reproduce this at will? In other words, do you have an exact sequence of both data and actions that will cause this problem to occur? That would be very helpful in figuring out what might be causing it and how to fix it.

By the way, are you getting duplicate contacts? Or just duplicate information in the contact.

Thanks,

Scott

Default iSync Connector

1. I have not been able to figure out to "force" the problem to occur.
    2. I am also getting duplicate and triplicate contacts.

thanks,
    Jon

Default Re: iSync Connector

Hey Jon, could you send the log files to me? You'll find them in ~/Library/Application Support/Zimbra. You can email that whole folder tree to me at: scott_dot_herscher_at_zimbra_dot_com.

That would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Scott

Default Reset sync history

I've noticed a bug that might be related to the issue of duplicate contacts.

If you hit reset sync history in the isync connector control panel on the Mac, it will bring up the OS X prompt asking if you want to approve such a large change to Address Book or iCal. If you say no/cancel, it will show up again later. For every time you say no/cancel, it will duplicate your fields within each contact that many times.

Any chance you were using reset sync?

Does anyone know if there is a fix for this?

Default Reset Sync History

No, I haven't used this function.

Hey there. I've repro'd the behavior you described. I've filed this as bug http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=16167

Thanks,

Scott