Thread: Best migration plan for Entourage?

Default Best migration plan for Entourage?

We've been using Zimbra for several months now, mostly with Outlook users. I have 2 users on Mac OSX, using Entourage for the last couple of years. They are still on our old email server because we haven't had time to migrate them. They use a POP3 connection to retrieve email, and calendars/contacts are private to Entourage. They are not making use of iSync. We would like to move them over to Zimbra and I'm not sure what the best way to do migration is.

For Outlook users we just imported their .pst file and were done. For Entourage, there is no .pst file. So I guess we can setup their zimbra accounts and:

1. Create an IMAP account in entourage, then drag and drop the email folders to the zimbra account.

2. Export the contacts from Entourage into a CSV file. Potential problem is that these users have made heavy use of "groups" for their contacts. Will that information be retained in Zimbra? I guess we will have to export one group at a time, import to zimbra, and tag it? But when the user starts to sync with the zimbra contacts list, will it make use of tags? The wiki seems to imply "no": "Zimbra tags are ignored in the Address Book." This isn't going to fly.

3. Export calendar. Don't know what to do here. Can't seem to export all calendar entries easily. Any ideas? Perhaps the scripts at http://scriptbuilders.net/files/expo...age1.3.10.html will be of help.

Once we are done migrating the data, I guess we install the iSync connector, setup synchronization, and then setup Entourage to use iSync.

I'm basically looking for a "best practice" guide for migrating Entourage users. Can anyone comment on the above or share how you did migration?

Thanks!

Are you trying to get them to just use the webUI? Because you do know you can have them using the iSync connector to sync their Entourage to the web UI and they can continue doing what they are doing. I should say that will handle the calendar. You can always just take the contacts and move them as vcards to Addressbook and sync them up. You can also use the built-in iSync services in Entourage to bring calendar/contact to iCal/Addressbook and then bring them up to Zimbra using the Zimbra iSync Connector
    Last edited by gmsmith; 05-13-2007 at 05:02 PM. Reason: for clarity

Quote Originally Posted by gmsmith View Post
    Are you trying to get them to just use the webUI?
    No, they want to continue to use Entourage. But I want them to be able to participate in shared calendars, free-busy, Zimbra Mobile (they are Treo 650 users), etc. So the goal is to get all their data migrated over, not lose organization such as groups, and then have Entourage/iSync work similarly to our Outlook users.

Quote Originally Posted by gmsmith View Post
    Because you do know you can have them using the iSync connector to sync their Entourage to the web UI and they can continue doing what they are doing. I should say that will handle the calendar. You can always just take the contacts and move them as vcards to Addressbook and sync them up. You can also use the built-in iSync services in Entourage to bring calendar/contact to iCal/Addressbook and then bring them up to Zimbra using the Zimbra iSync Connector
    Hmm, I guess I have been viewing this as "migrate data, trash everything in Entourage, create new account in Entourage to connect to Zimbra". Because that's how we've had to do it with our standalone Outlook users, where we take their PST file, import it, then install the Outlook connector that creates a new Profile and has a clean slate. But on the mac I guess there is a more fluid model where we can install the iSync connector, and let the existing data flow back, and then forth. . .

As long as we cutoff the POP3 account, will this "just work"?

Default The problem with moving email in Entourage

Hello All,

I've been testing a demo of ZCS on Ubuntu Server 6.0.6 with Microsoft Entourage for Mac 2004 v11.3.3. So far I really like what I see; the shared calendars, contacts, and web UI are all great. The only issue that I've had is moving emails from Entourage to ZCS. However, I think I found a path that works and isn't too inefficient.

Moving emails onto the server from Entourage yields messages whose date stamp is incorrect; furthermore, you can't just move a whole folder at a time. What I've found is that Apple Mail v2.1 on OS X v 10.4.9 does a much better job of moving messages into ZCS. Apple Mail seems to handle the threaded messages better and you can move multiple, full folders in Apple Mail. In Entourage, you can't move the folders straight over to ZCS, you have to create the folder in ZCS via IMAP and then move all of the messages over. Another item to note with Apple Mail is that if you move a multi-tier folder structure, it doesn't seem to move all of the messages in the top level folder.

Hi,

how do you get the shared calendars into Entourage???? I am trying this for days now... and no luck....

cheers
    Andre