Thread: HA Open Zimbra Idea - MailStore via http rather than file system.

Hybrid View

Default HA Open Zimbra Idea - MailStore via http rather than file system.

I have an idea for modifying the mailstore for imap for added scalability and failover. It would use web servers to store the actual files rather than the standard file system.

I'm hoping to generate some interest and knock this out. I think it should be a pretty simple change and give HUGE gains. It would def be a bit slower to access the message file via http rather than local filesystem, but should be pretty fast and gives simple solution for replication/failover/HA on the open source version of zimbra.

It would work something like below.

1. Modify "com.zimbra.cs.store.StoreManager" so that it stores message file via post to web server. It should post to two different servers, for failover.

1. The two urls to the file are stored in the database with the messageId.

1. When the imap server needs to "get" a message file, it will requrest it from one of the urls listed in the database. If one fails it will failover to the other.

1. If a server is low on storage, just add another plain old web server. It would just need a script to receive uploads via post. Then add the server to the list of available web storage servers

1. Mysql and Ldap are replicated to a second server for application failover. Storage fails over using the above solution.

I'm going to start digging through the code this week to see how doable this is. Let me know if you have any interest in helping out. I could def use a hand from someone who has worked with the Zimbra code.

Thanks,

Kevin

That's an interesting idea, but it seems to me that it might be putting a lot of "HA" effort into the wrong place.

What you are essentially trying to do, it sounds like, is provide HA for the mail store. But by moving this up to the application layer, you're forcing the application to become more aware of its surroundings than it really needs to be. For example, when you do a "POST" to store a message, will the Zimbra server do a POST to multiple web servers to ensure that the message is stored everywhere? If so, what happens if one of them fails - should it consider the message saved or not? And if you don't do multiple POSTs, but instead rely on the web server to replicate the data, how is that different from just using disk replication technology on the Zimbra server - i.e. mirrored drives, or a full SAN?

Perhaps more importantly, what happens if the Zimbra server itself dies? Even though you've replicated your underlying data, with your zimbra server dead, you still can't serve it up to the user. So you've got DR (saved data), but no HA (you can't get at it)

I think you could probably achieve a better level of HA without actually modifying the Zimbra codebase at all -- e.g. use MySQL replication, as you suggested, but then replicate the mailstore filesytem at the OS level to a second box (or use a SAN, but that adds substantially more cost). On the second box, you have your running MySQL replica, and a 'standby' copy of Zimbra that can be started if the first server should fail, and its local copy of data will already be in sync.

I've been reading up on Sun's Availability Suite, which was recently open-sourced. It has some impressive features that would work well in this situation. It's just one reason I've been working on getting Zimbra running on Solaris.

Default SAN would work great, but...

I def recognize that SAN is the most common way to go for HA in a mail environment and definitely a good way to go. I'm in search of an in expensive alternative.

My issue is that while the SAN direction seems to be the most common for HA, the infrastructure is prohibitively expensive for a lot of implementations and rather complex to set up, especially in a managed hosting environment.

My goal is not just to provide an HA solution, but one that can be setup very easily with little expense in a managed hosting environment.

So in response to your points:

1) "Application layer aware of of too much."
    Well it is already aware of the file system. I'm not sure that having it aware of a url is any more complex than having it aware of a path in the file system.

2) "Post to multiple servers could fail"
    True, this is part of the reason I posted, to work out details. I had also considered a replication daemon. It could only copy to one location, the daemon could replicate.

3) "Why not user disk replication"
    I have considered this. We used disk replication one of my previous companies to store photo and video file backups/failover. It did work, but required custom OS installs to support and were a bit finicky. We eventually moved to a system like I am describing. It was easy to implement, could be setup on any server w/o kernel other OS modifications and worked very well.

4) "what happens if a post fails"
    No problem, it can be replicated later. So long as it is in one location the replication can happen as soon as the secondary storage is up.

5) "what happens if zimbra dies"
    This was the reason for the replicated MySQL and LDAP. The second machine would have a hot copy of Zimbra waiting to go. I was figuring for starters two frontend zimbra boxes. One active the other ready to go. If the active went down the secondary would be ready. All the message files would be replicated to the web storage servers separate, so they'd be ready to go.

So yeah SAN sounds good. I think the http idea could provide some additions though:
    - easy - if you are low on storage just add a webserver. No need to mount new drives configure new servers... just add it to the list of available storage servers in your Zimbra config.
    - cheap - storage is cheap these days. 1TB of storage could be added with shared web host for $7/month.
    - managed hosting - this would work with managed hosting enviroments. It would be cost prohibitive to setup a similiar solution with SAN. I'd likely need a rack, servers and custom hardware.

Anyway, I'm gonna give it a shot... my main concern right now is actually speed. We have been successful with this model for photos and videos. The upload speed to the servers could be a deal breaker. If it is fast enough on read/write, I think it should be pretty straight forward to have this running soon.
    Last edited by kbaker; 07-20-2007 at 10:38 PM.

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

Zimbra have said in the past that there will be full mailstore replication builtin to Zimbra. Might be worth asking first if this is still the case?

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

ps - I did try a long time ago a blank proof of concept using drbd and heartbeat for failover clustering which worked fine. It was a bit clunky and unsupported, and this was a NE install so I didn't use it, but it is possible. This involves no modification to Zimbra.

Since these days as hillman points out Sun Cluster is in the process of being opensourced, and Veritas SF is available for Linux, as well as the advent of OCFS, GFS, drbd etc, it might be worth investigating providing HA from the system level first before modifying Zimbra itself.

The major win of course of modfying Zimbra itself would be live-live capability and 'proper' (ie redundant) load balancing.

Something like Live-live redundancy should be possible with two instances of Zimbra running off of a single database, that would failover to a secondary if it goes down.

Unfortunately actual live-live would be very difficult to achieve w/o major modification to the Zimbra code base, I think. This is due to the sequential messageid requirement in the IMAP RFC. W/o some sort of token passing between instances this would probably break the RFC.

We had a pretty long discussion about it on the DBMAIL list about a year ago.
    Being that hardware is so cheap these days, I'm less interested in live-live. More focused on massive scalability of the message store.