Thread: Changing Linux distros & keeping Zimbra data?

Default Changing Linux distros & keeping Zimbra data?

I'm toying with the idea of changing our zimbra test box with 4 users from Fedora Core 3 to CentOS 4.2.

For that number of users, I could just copy mail out via IMAP and export contacts. I would miss calendar data though.

I'm currently backing up by stopping zimbra and archiving all of /opt/zimbra

I imagine that restoring /opt/zimbra on a different OS (same ip and hostname) would be asking for trouble?

What directories should I be restoring for just user and settings data?

Default moving distros.

This is a bit of an ugly problem.

I'd try this, first:
    on the new box:

install the RHEL4 packages, make them work. Use the same ldap, mysql passwords as on the old server (zmlocalconfig -s will give them to you)
    shut down zimbra

On the old box:

shut down zimbra
    copy /opt/zimbra to the new server, run /opt/zimbra/bin/zmfixperms.sh (as root)

re-run the installer on the new box, select "yes" to upgrade, when you get to the menus, just hit "a" to apply

This should work - but don't dump the data on the old box until you're sure...

Thanks for the advice.

I'll give it a try when I get an opportunity. I'll plug a new drive in to try it. (Gives me an easy escape if it doesn't work out).

Did I post this in the Developer thread or was it moved? It was 2am here and I was probably barely awake, so if I posted it in an inappropriate forum, my apologies.

Default Moving from FC3 to CentOS

Quote Originally Posted by neilmc
    I'm toying with the idea of changing our zimbra test box with 4 users from Fedora Core 3 to CentOS 4.2.
    CentOS is a very good Linux distro. Several of my crew are running it and have nothing but good things to say.

I'm curious, though. Are you having issues with FC3 running Zimbra? Or, you just want a different Linux OS running Zimbra?

We're running Zimbra on RHEL4 and have had no issues to report. marcmac recommended you upgrading to RHEL4 as an interim step before moving forward with CentOS. For us, that was the end game and seems to be working. Just my $0.02...