View Poll Results: What OS port should be next?

Voters
588. You may not vote on this poll
  • FreeBSD

92 15.65%
  • Mandriva

15 2.55%
  • Ubuntu

124 21.09%
  • Debian

109 18.54%
  • Gentoo

86 14.63%
  • Slackware

17 2.89%
  • Solaris

108 18.37%
  • NetBSD

2 0.34%
  • OpenBSD

8 1.36%
  • Other (Post a comment below)

27 4.59%
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW POLL: What OS port should be next?

I have to agree wholeheartedly with the recommendation for a Solaris port.

With a heavy background in Solaris sysadmin in an enterprise-class Solaris/SPARC shop, I must say that Zimbra would be making a wise business decision in porting to Solaris Sparc/X86. Folks in 'corporate' would *love* to have an alternative to Exchange and reduce overall costs. But any collaboration suite solution must be supportable on equipment that can be truly recognized as enterprise-class and that leverages the experience of existing IT staff. Zimbra should be able to make money from that category of shop by the wheelbarrow-load.

Quote Originally Posted by qu1j0t3
    Yes, Xao - you're 100% right.

Sun now has the best value hardware offering by a long shot - apart from competitive pricing and support plans, its AMD and SPARC servers are winning world records almost daily - and Solaris 10 has compelling features over the other possibilities. Anyone who believes otherwise hasn't done their research.

In fact ZFS was the killer feature for us - it has integrity guarantees nothing else can make. But there's also lightweight virtualisation, and the list goes on. We bought a couple of X2100s but the X2200 M2 is even nicer.

With respect to Zimbra, it's not an easy port, I've spent a few days working on a port to Solaris10/x86 and only got third party done (stalled at Ant for Zimbra itself). I hope I get a chance to work on that some more. The Zimbra build process needs some general polish, description and organisation however, it is a bit rough around the edges, or was, around revision 70 when I jumped in.

Default Zimbra for Solaris!!

I too would love to cast my vote for a Solaris port on Zimbra. Part of the problem is that most users of Solaris end up being enterprise - thus being pushed to enterprise software that has support and what's common name. If it's not available to purchase for the platform, you're not going to get as many solaris admins to ask to port the software, but you will get many linux users who spend lots of time at home on their boxes and want a collaboration suite to ask. Once it's available people will use it with a little word of mouth or publication. Trust me - if there's a stable option to move away from exchange and place something on a solaris box, it will happen. Why not be the first? After all, it was said that the developers know Solaris! The new x64 AMD boxes from Sun are awesome and the fact that you can't run this on solaris will actually be a negative. Nothing against Linux - I like using it too, but my boss isn't going to approve us putting an enterprise mail server on a linux box in our company. We're just too big!

Cool FreeBSD

I would have to cast my vote for FreeBSD and also Solaris as the Companies I have worked for and my personal preference has been FreeBSD. FreeBSD has proven itself time and time again to be stable and easily upgraded.
    Solaris is a definate plus as many companies standardize on Solaris including the company I work for.

Default Solaris

Quote Originally Posted by Zingra View Post
    That should be reason enough for a Solaris port.
    I agree. Solaris is a enterprise class OS used though out the world.

RHEL 5 would be nice when its released. Although I mostly want Gentoo.

Personally I do use Gentoo within my company; and would like to see some official support. At the moment I have to go through a few hoops to be able to get ZCS(Or indeed Network edition) working. For testing a mailserver I do not wish to have to set up a Debian chroot; if I wanted a full Deb install I would install Deb.

I have almost decided to say to heck with it and am now looking at trying it on an FC release (I am waiting for RHEL 5 before I invest in enterprise class linux - Xen is too tempting) I moved away from Kerio for a number of reasons - one of which was their lack of official support for anything linux-based but Red Hat/Suse. I seriously hope that Zimbra isn't the same in such a short sighted mindset.

And yes before anyone points out I'm setting double standards by saying "I want Gentoo but will probably buy RHEL anyway" there are several "as standard" features I need; and the support would be nice.

Solaris is huge in the enterprise world. $$$ will come if you do a port to Solaris, it just needs to be marketed properly.

I have a Gentoo ebuild for Zimbra now....

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-524342.html

Default Support what the OS makers currently support

Why not support the same versions of the OS that the makers support. For example, someone in this forum thinks that RHEL3 is an "old" kernel, however, it is not old. It is simply a different branch of the code. There are plenty of kernel updates going into the RHEL3 kernel and to not support it because it is old is not a good enough reason, IMHO.

From RedHat's website:
    http://www.redhat.com/rhel/details/enterpriselinux3/

Red Hat Enterprise Linux v.3 was introduced in September 2003 and will be supported until August 2010

I think that would be enough of a reason to support RHEL3.

I would appreciate a supported version of Zimbra for RHEL3, very much!

Default CentOS4

Hi, I think that CentOS native is a good Idea, maybe is trivial the compatibility with Redhat but it is diferent (Is Open Source), I would to contribuite for Zimbra OS for CentOS
    ~ Leandro Rache Sanchez
    (. .) leandro@hipertek.net
    \V/
    //"\\ Hipertek Ltda
    /( ' )\ info@hipertek.net
    ^*-*^ http://www.hipertek.net
    ----------------------------------------------

Could not agree more, It is amazing that CentOS is not a listed OS as Zimbra even runs there servers on RedHat and since Zimbra is all about OpenSource CentOS just makes sense .. its a stable OS with proven Enterprise resources and is developed on a stable set of software along with Redhat.

Hands down should be the preferred OS for Zimbra.

BRW

How about a build that installs gracefully onto mac osx server... Without damaging the currenlt running LDAP servers. Or even better... integrate with the LDAP server.