View Poll Results: What OS port should be next?

Voters
588. You may not vote on this poll
  • FreeBSD

    92 15.65%
  • Mandriva

    15 2.55%
  • Ubuntu

    124 21.09%
  • Debian

    109 18.54%
  • Gentoo

    86 14.63%
  • Slackware

    17 2.89%
  • Solaris

    108 18.37%
  • NetBSD

    2 0.34%
  • OpenBSD

    8 1.36%
  • Other (Post a comment below)

    27 4.59%
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 155

Thread: NEW POLL: What OS port should be next?

  1. #71
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, VIC, Australia
    Posts
    120
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    my 2cents:

    gentoo: As much as I would like to see a Zimbra NE version for gentoo I can not image how do you want to support it. Where do you start the troubleshooting - asking for the USE flags used to build the gcc?

    RHES / SLES: there is no need to argue about SLES or RHES its an "AND" because these are the only real Enterprise Linux and it just depends on the geographical location which is number 1 or 2.

    debian / ubuntu LTS: I think this are the important distributions for small business that have a Linux environment and need something "like" MS Exchange and don't want to have a MS server.

    (just my experience from work as support agent for one of biggest server vendors)

    Cheers
    Andre

  2. #72
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Australia, ACT
    Posts
    197
    Rep Power
    9

    Post SLES10 support scheduled for 4.52

    According to this bug, SLES10 support is scheduled for 4.52. http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=10462

    This is GREAT news!

  3. #73
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Zimbra on Windows??

    People it would be great to build Zimbra on windows. This would definetly addon to worry MS. MTA can be IIS SMTP server instead of postfix. Other than that i guess everything can be made to work on windows and some already are there openldap, clam, dspam/spamassasin etc. Well not sure how good and possible is this idea but definetly sounds good.
    Last edited by sriram_n83; 02-21-2007 at 08:17 AM.

  4. #74
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    477
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sriram_n83 View Post
    People it would be great to build Zimbra on windows. This would definetly addon to worry MS. MTA can be IIS SMTP server instead of postfix. Other than that i guess everything can be made to work on windows and some already are there openldap, clam, dspam/spamassasin etc. Well not sure how good and possible is this idea but definetly sounds good.
    Postfix actually, AFAIK, is not portable to Windows (and that's a big problem).

  5. #75
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lostknight View Post
    Postfix actually, AFAIK, is not portable to Windows (and that's a big problem).
    GUYS i guess it would be great to have Zimbra's own MTA supporting the highest ever concurrency built on any messaging system and yes platform independent. I don't think it should take much time for Zimbra developers to do this looking at the pace at which features are being added. It would probably be my best project.

  6. #76
    phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,587
    Rep Power
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sriram_n83 View Post
    I don't think it should take much time for Zimbra developers to do this looking at the pace at which features are being added.
    Yes, the developers are a lazy bunch - they sit around all day drinking coffee just thinking of the next feature they can add to Zimbra. Doesn't the pace of feature improvements indicate they might not have the time for that sort of project? This is open source, you could always try porting the project yourself.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  7. #77
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    477
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sriram_n83 View Post
    GUYS i guess it would be great to have Zimbra's own MTA supporting the highest ever concurrency built on any messaging system and yes platform independent. I don't think it should take much time for Zimbra developers to do this looking at the pace at which features are being added. It would probably be my best project.
    MTA's are a bitch. Everyone significantly under scopes them when they write them, and then discover that their effort is a bit like using a BB-gun to go after a Elephant charging at you.

    It's a lot easier now that UUCP style ! routing has gone away, but trust me, it's a hard problem. (I spent a lot of time climbing back through sendmail internals while I was a Network consultant... doing LDAP intergration the hard way ;-)

  8. #78
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Yes, the developers are a lazy bunch - they sit around all day drinking coffee just thinking of the next feature they can add to Zimbra. Doesn't the pace of feature improvements indicate they might not have the time for that sort of project? This is open source, you could always try porting the project yourself.
    Well so wat? This can also be OpenSourced. I dont think opensource only means Linux. Application can always be opensourced in windows. Porting it myself probably will take lotsssssssssssssss of time and i am not a windows developer

  9. #79
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,433
    Rep Power
    12

    Default No postfix = no native Windows port

    Quote Originally Posted by sriram_n83 View Post
    Well so wat? This can also be OpenSourced. I dont think opensource only means Linux. Application can always be opensourced in windows. Porting it myself probably will take lotsssssssssssssss of time and i am not a windows developer
    postfix is open-source. And yet there is no postfix port for Windows.

    If someone were to port postfix to Windows, we'd seriously consider porting Zimbra to Windows. But we're absolutely the wrong folks to write a Windows postfix port.

    (And we're not about to write our own MTA just so that we can run on Windows. There are plenty of good MTAs out there. Port postfix to Windows, and then we can talk.)
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

  10. #80
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    9

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by dkarp View Post
    postfix is open-source. And yet there is no postfix port for Windows.

    If someone were to port postfix to Windows, we'd seriously consider porting Zimbra to Windows. But we're absolutely the wrong folks to write a Windows postfix port.

    (And we're not about to write our own MTA just so that we can run on Windows. There are plenty of good MTAs out there. Port postfix to Windows, and then we can talk.)
    Suggestion is that, don't make it so much dependent on the MTA. I understand there is a great community doing amazing stuffs on Opensource MTA's like Postfix , but if the build is made such that it works on any platform, any popular OS (Already there with Linux/mac) makes it a lot more flexible and revenue oriented toooo. watever zimbra is doing is just amazing. Qmail is my personal favorite on the MTA front.

Similar Threads

  1. initializing ldap...FAILED(256)ERROR
    By manjunath in forum Installation
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 06-07-2013, 10:27 AM
  2. Error 256 on Installation
    By RuinExplorer in forum Installation
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-19-2006, 09:19 AM
  3. Getting problems in FC4 while instalation
    By kitty_bhoo in forum Installation
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-12-2006, 10:34 PM
  4. port 7071 not listening OS X install
    By leeimber in forum Installation
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-21-2006, 09:47 AM
  5. When will Mac OS X port be out of beta?
    By bkazez in forum Developers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-30-2005, 10:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •