View Poll Results: What OS port should be next?

Voters
588. You may not vote on this poll
  • FreeBSD

92 15.65%
  • Mandriva

15 2.55%
  • Ubuntu

124 21.09%
  • Debian

109 18.54%
  • Gentoo

86 14.63%
  • Slackware

17 2.89%
  • Solaris

108 18.37%
  • NetBSD

2 0.34%
  • OpenBSD

8 1.36%
  • Other (Post a comment below)

27 4.59%
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW POLL: What OS port should be next?

my 2cents:

gentoo: As much as I would like to see a Zimbra NE version for gentoo I can not image how do you want to support it. Where do you start the troubleshooting - asking for the USE flags used to build the gcc?

RHES / SLES: there is no need to argue about SLES or RHES its an "AND" because these are the only real Enterprise Linux and it just depends on the geographical location which is number 1 or 2.

debian / ubuntu LTS: I think this are the important distributions for small business that have a Linux environment and need something "like" MS Exchange and don't want to have a MS server.

(just my experience from work as support agent for one of biggest server vendors)

Cheers
    Andre

Post SLES10 support scheduled for 4.52

According to this bug, SLES10 support is scheduled for 4.52. http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=10462

This is GREAT news!

Default Zimbra on Windows??

People it would be great to build Zimbra on windows. This would definetly addon to worry MS. MTA can be IIS SMTP server instead of postfix. Other than that i guess everything can be made to work on windows and some already are there openldap, clam, dspam/spamassasin etc. Well not sure how good and possible is this idea but definetly sounds good.
    Last edited by sriram_n83; 02-21-2007 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sriram_n83 View Post
    People it would be great to build Zimbra on windows. This would definetly addon to worry MS. MTA can be IIS SMTP server instead of postfix. Other than that i guess everything can be made to work on windows and some already are there openldap, clam, dspam/spamassasin etc. Well not sure how good and possible is this idea but definetly sounds good.
    Postfix actually, AFAIK, is not portable to Windows (and that's a big problem).

Quote Originally Posted by lostknight View Post
    Postfix actually, AFAIK, is not portable to Windows (and that's a big problem).
    GUYS i guess it would be great to have Zimbra's own MTA supporting the highest ever concurrency built on any messaging system and yes platform independent. I don't think it should take much time for Zimbra developers to do this looking at the pace at which features are being added. It would probably be my best project.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

I don't think it should take much time for Zimbra developers to do this looking at the pace at which features are being added.
    Yes, the developers are a lazy bunch - they sit around all day drinking coffee just thinking of the next feature they can add to Zimbra. Doesn't the pace of feature improvements indicate they might not have the time for that sort of project? This is open source, you could always try porting the project yourself.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

GUYS i guess it would be great to have Zimbra's own MTA supporting the highest ever concurrency built on any messaging system and yes platform independent. I don't think it should take much time for Zimbra developers to do this looking at the pace at which features are being added. It would probably be my best project.
    MTA's are a bitch. Everyone significantly under scopes them when they write them, and then discover that their effort is a bit like using a BB-gun to go after a Elephant charging at you.

It's a lot easier now that UUCP style ! routing has gone away, but trust me, it's a hard problem. (I spent a lot of time climbing back through sendmail internals while I was a Network consultant... doing LDAP intergration the hard way ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Yes, the developers are a lazy bunch - they sit around all day drinking coffee just thinking of the next feature they can add to Zimbra. Doesn't the pace of feature improvements indicate they might not have the time for that sort of project? This is open source, you could always try porting the project yourself.
    Well so wat? This can also be OpenSourced. I dont think opensource only means Linux. Application can always be opensourced in windows. Porting it myself probably will take lotsssssssssssssss of time and i am not a windows developer

Default No postfix = no native Windows port

Well so wat? This can also be OpenSourced. I dont think opensource only means Linux. Application can always be opensourced in windows. Porting it myself probably will take lotsssssssssssssss of time and i am not a windows developer
    postfix is open-source. And yet there is no postfix port for Windows.

If someone were to port postfix to Windows, we'd seriously consider porting Zimbra to Windows. But we're absolutely the wrong folks to write a Windows postfix port.

(And we're not about to write our own MTA just so that we can run on Windows. There are plenty of good MTAs out there. Port postfix to Windows, and then we can talk.)
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dkarp View Post
    postfix is open-source. And yet there is no postfix port for Windows.

If someone were to port postfix to Windows, we'd seriously consider porting Zimbra to Windows. But we're absolutely the wrong folks to write a Windows postfix port.

(And we're not about to write our own MTA just so that we can run on Windows. There are plenty of good MTAs out there. Port postfix to Windows, and then we can talk.)
    Suggestion is that, don't make it so much dependent on the MTA. I understand there is a great community doing amazing stuffs on Opensource MTA's like Postfix , but if the build is made such that it works on any platform, any popular OS (Already there with Linux/mac) makes it a lot more flexible and revenue oriented toooo. watever zimbra is doing is just amazing. Qmail is my personal favorite on the MTA front.