Thread: 64bit compile question

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

Default 64bit compile question

Hi,

I'm currently trying to build and document from the new p4 source on Solaris 10. I'm doing it on x86 u4 release, and attempting to build a 64bit release, using cc as much as possible. So I'm forcing -m64 and solving problems here and there along the way, and having to build more and more of usual system libs along the way to link into 64bit libs (libtool, pcre, libxml2 etc).

Question: Most of this thirdparty stuff is normally compiled 32bit for speed and efficiency as very little of it would benefit from 64bit. Is all the ThirdParty for all 64bit releases fully built for 64bit? Should I persevere and continue to compile 64bit for all the components and just package them as necessary as part of the zimbra packages? In particular with openldap I had to --disable-perl as the thought of rebuilding perl 64bit and packaging it, I lost the will to live.

I can see the advantage of 64bit Java, this can be done anyway. Perhaps I should aim for a hybrid 32/64bit build using isaexec, is there any reason this isn't done for the Linux builds?

The goal is to use the native libraries that ship as a default with the given OS. Libraries we use above and beyond the default OS but don't need to recompile get added to the prereq checklist.

Most of the thirdparty stuff we build and ship is huge ugly chain of dependencies with almost all of it linked against something else we build. I don't really see a way around the 64bit perl issue as you'll have to link a fair share of the perl modules against things like openldap, openssl, sleepycat and cyrus-sasl.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Thanks for the response brian. I think i'll start with a 32bit build then as it's going to be inifinitely simpler! then when that's all up and running look at extending it to 64bit.

Ok 32-bit is waay easier to build so i'll start with that.

One question: the FRANKLIN branch seems to be changing, isn't is supposed to be stable 5.0 branch? I would expect main to change daily and FRANKLIN to only change when a stable 5.0 release is reached?

You should still be able to use the 64bit java which is really the bulk of the memory utilization anyways.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!