I just showed Zimbra to an WiFi Operator whish likes the Idea
    run Zimbra as a service for customers. There are some thought
    and qustions:

- How do I run Zimbra when I'm Offline
    - How can I strore Documents
    - Can I access Calendar/Contacts while I'm Offline

We come to the Idea not syncing with i.e. Outlook and found
    it more reasonable to have a local zimbra Agent running whish
    is synchroniced with the Zimbra Server while I'm connected.
    The "ZAgent" can be configured whish data are replicated i.e.

- all Contacts
    - last 3 Month next 9 Month Calendar
    - Email's

The browser can connect to this local server and you have
    the full (limited) Clientfunctionaliy. The Agent is running anyway
    and can handle Alert PopUp and other message presented
    to the user. It's like Notes and Groupwise remote Mailbox works.

What do you think ??

Thanks a lot, good weekend

Holger

Holger, Thanks for the feedback. We've explored such a solution. At the moment we are concentrating on sync/offline in a few different ways:

- Standard IMAP/POP/iCal
    - Outlook
    - Apple Native (iSync)
    - REST
    - Mobile (PocketPC, SyncML, etc)

So those at the moment are keeping us quite busy. We will continue to look at a local cache for the Zimbra web client to work offline it's just not on the short term road map.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Default replication

Hi,

Also have an interest in this - a lot of the outlook sync tools are really clunky (intranets.com and intellisync is about the best I've seen, and it's not that good!) and it's hard to see how it's going to be easy to map the different granularites of Zimbra and Outlook together.. Equally most of the IMAP/Ical/POP stuff is not a great success with outlook, or with Thunderbird either as a group working offline tool..

It's important to lead people to working online, not make the client offline implementation the restricting factor and that people default to working in this mode.. I see this time and time again... When people open their email first and their web browser second we're still basically getting it wrong..:-)

Just my few pence worth

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stevens
    a lot of the outlook sync tools are really clunky (intranets.com and intellisync is about the best I've seen, and it's not that good!) and it's hard to see how it's going to be easy to map the different granularites of Zimbra and Outlook together..
    Mark,
    Have you tried our Outlook connector yet? I wouldn't call it clunky by any means.. but I'm a bit biased
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Default offline agent - any updates??

hi guys, any update on the offline agent yet?

To me, the general idea of zimbra looks good, but really, i would really appreciate and need an offline agent if i were to push for the adoption of zimbra within my own company. Without that, all that coordination and nice "information at ur fingertips" accessibility would be lost the moment one of our guys goes offline... - you might as well tell that guy to be stuck to a terminal!! or to a lan cable. or to a hotspot then. Instead of being able to travel, and take all of this information with him/her, this guy is effectively only able to work when a friendly internet connection is available. You could tell me about pop, or imap, or ical, but really, these only just undo all of the advantages that is zimbra. Why? well hey think why u would rather use zimbra - rather than 3 or more separate apps, one for email, one for calendaring, etc. etc. - and u get the idea... And dont even talk about the fantastic user-friendly (and workload-friendly) interfaces of the regular email clients nowadays. Multiple folders, and subfolders, and overlapping of folder categorizations anybody?

But enough of my rant. I just wish to communicate my opinion that really, a good offline client is needed. This really limits the usability of zimbra IMO.

The offline story today is Outlook or Native MacOSX apps via iSync. An offline agent for the web UI is on the radar but not something that we've put much work into yet.