Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: API to change/add to stored searches

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    22
    Rep Power
    10

    Default API to change/add to stored searches

    Is is posible to access a uses stored searches in order to do the following:

    Using a Perl script to search through a set of mail folders and see if there is a stored search
    is a folder that will show all of the e-mail messages that have each e-mail address as a To, From, CC or Bcc.

    In other words I want the server to, say each night, go through my stored mail and create
    filters in a folder (maybe a tree of folders and searches) so that I can pick a e-mail address
    and see all of the messages to, from and cced for that address.

    I can see other uses for this API (auto setting up searches for data about projects etc.)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,103
    Rep Power
    14

    Default not sure why

    Quote Originally Posted by pwd
    Is is posible to access a uses stored searches in order to do the following:

    Using a Perl script to search through a set of mail folders and see if there is a stored search
    is a folder that will show all of the e-mail messages that have each e-mail address as a To, From, CC or Bcc.

    In other words I want the server to, say each night, go through my stored mail and create
    filters in a folder (maybe a tree of folders and searches) so that I can pick a e-mail address
    and see all of the messages to, from and cced for that address.

    I can see other uses for this API (auto setting up searches for data about projects etc.)
    I don't think I'm understanding what you want to do - you can, currently, search on just about any comination of to, from, cc, bcc, etc. If you want to do that programatically, you'll need to get in touch with our soap API - but I'm not sure why you'd want to pre-create searches that you can run so easily from the UI.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    22
    Rep Power
    10

    Default The saved searches are real nice

    In playing around with the demo I found that the saved searches are a real nice
    feature, one that I whould use VERY often. In thinking about this I relised that I could, if an interface was present, have a set of scirpts generate, at night, common searches and put them into my folders so things would be ready for use. If this is avaiable via SOAP then all is fine.

    We are about 180 days from the start of a eval. of our Groupware/Email system and zimbra is currently in the lead (we do need SyncML but I might be able to graft Sync4j (I know they re-named it but sync4j is much easier to remember) if zimbra does not have the wireless sync ready by that time.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,103
    Rep Power
    14

    Default still don't understand

    Quote Originally Posted by pwd
    In playing around with the demo I found that the saved searches are a real nice
    feature, one that I whould use VERY often. In thinking about this I relised that I could, if an interface was present, have a set of scirpts generate, at night, common searches and put them into my folders so things would be ready for use. If this is avaiable via SOAP then all is fine.

    We are about 180 days from the start of a eval. of our Groupware/Email system and zimbra is currently in the lead (we do need SyncML but I might be able to graft Sync4j (I know they re-named it but sync4j is much easier to remember) if zimbra does not have the wireless sync ready by that time.
    I still don't understand why the saved searches would need to be recreated - once set up, they should continue to do the right thing (everything from foo.com in the last day, etc).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    4,789
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pwd
    We are about 180 days from the start of a eval. of our Groupware/Email system and zimbra is currently in the lead (we do need SyncML but I might be able to graft Sync4j (I know they re-named it but sync4j is much easier to remember) if zimbra does not have the wireless sync ready by that time.
    Sounds good. BTW: We are working on a connector to Sync4J (aka funambol). This is in addition to the work we are doing to enable PocketPC like devices and Apple native sync via iSync.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    22
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Now I see the problem

    I am not saying re-create, I want the scirpts to CREATE new searches that I have not generated by hand. I am not up to Larry Wall's level of automation of e-mail (well no one is)
    but I do a number of things that keep my workload down.


    Also good to hear on the SyncML and the iSync (we happen not to have anything on this but pilot, blackberry and Mac)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    4,789
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Can you give us an example? I still don't understand why you can't create them in Zimbra. Either way you can use the SOAP api to automate this. See ZimbraServer/docs/soap.txt in the source for some docs.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    22
    Rep Power
    10

    Default A real example

    OK lets make it simple. We have a number of customers and have a system that keeps track of the e-mail addresses of different people (roles) at each customer, I wnat to have it so I have a saved search one for each customer site that will pick off the "administrator" at each site but the users at each site do change and I want my e-mail "folder" for each site to be updated so that the current (and maybe past) people from that site are avaiable within that folder. In other words I want the system (a script that I write) to look elsewhere and update my search folders as external conditions change.

    I took a look at the soap.txt file and it looks like what I would need is there.

    For an example that does not use CORAS (the sysems refered to above)

    Say you have a attrubute in your GAS (external to Zimbra) a field called "company" and you wnat a folder that has all of the messages from any e-mail address that is from or to that company now what the script does is go to the LDAP directory and walk the tree finding each e-mail address and finds if there is a attrubute "company" for that node and
    builds up a search (and stores it) for that company.

    Anyway that is one place I can think of that this might be used.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    4,789
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    I see. Well if they all have the same email domain you could just create a search folder one-time with that domain, rather than update it frequently with additional email addresses. Either way seems you've got what you need.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Funambol Connector

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    Sounds good. BTW: We are working on a connector to Sync4J (aka funambol). This is in addition to the work we are doing to enable PocketPC like devices and Apple native sync via iSync.
    Has a descision been made as to whether or not the funambol connector will be a component of Zimbra's open source edition? I am installing funambol as an OTA sync solution for my small company and would like to use Zimbra as our mail solution. Unfortunately, we are too small to justify the Network Edition (3 users).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •