Thread: RSS/Atom Calendar Output

Default RSS/Atom Calendar Output

I am a web developer and have been recommending Zimbra as an email solution to my clients because it is a great email system but also because of the ability to integrate calendar data into a website. To me, this area is huge. Providing a means to integrate calendar and other data from Zimbra into your company website is a major plus in choosing Zimbra as your corporate email system. Some work needs to be done, however, to make this capability even better. The .html output has been a wonderful new feature with 5.x! The RSS/Atom output needs more development. Here are a few suggested improvements/comments:

1. RSS/Atom standards compliance. I am not sure yet what is going on here but many of the Joomla RSS modules will not display RSS/Atom data from Zimbra. There must be something non-standard or missing in the RSS output that is causing this problem.

2. Control over RSS/Atom Output. It would be nice to have some options on what is included in the RSS output from Zimbra through the Admin interface.

3. From the blog:

One further note on both the Atom and RSS formatters is that the calendar feeds provided by them currently only include the title/notes data. As soon as a more complete server-side I18N infrastructure is in place (we have been focused on the web client) the Atom/RSS feeds for calendars will be much more detailed.
    How is this going?

4. Links to .html data. It would be nice if the RSS would provide links to the actual .html appointments. This just makes sense. Users would click on the RSS title and be taken to the .html version of the appointment showing full times, location, etc.

This is the short list of what RSS/Atom in Zimbra should be. Thanks for a great product and thanks for continued improvement to make Zimbra the standard in what an email/calendar solution should be.

- Rob

Quote Originally Posted by rhostager View Post
    I am a web developer and have been recommending Zimbra as an email solution to my clients because it is a great email system but also because of the ability to integrate calendar data into a website. To me, this area is huge. Providing a means to integrate calendar and other data from Zimbra into your company website is a major plus in choosing Zimbra as your corporate email system. Some work needs to be done, however, to make this capability even better. The .html output has been a wonderful new feature with 5.x! The RSS/Atom output needs more development. Here are a few suggested improvements/comments:

1. RSS/Atom standards compliance. I am not sure yet what is going on here but many of the Joomla RSS modules will not display RSS/Atom data from Zimbra. There must be something non-standard or missing in the RSS output that is causing this problem.

2. Control over RSS/Atom Output. It would be nice to have some options on what is included in the RSS output from Zimbra through the Admin interface.

3. From the blog:

How is this going?

4. Links to .html data. It would be nice if the RSS would provide links to the actual .html appointments. This just makes sense. Users would click on the RSS title and be taken to the .html version of the appointment showing full times, location, etc.

This is the short list of what RSS/Atom in Zimbra should be. Thanks for a great product and thanks for continued improvement to make Zimbra the standard in what an email/calendar solution should be.

- Rob
    I wanted to drag out an older thread to see where this is at. We are working on something with our website and want to use a public calendar and create an upcoming events feed. The RSS feed doesn't generate links for the separate events. Would be good if it did.

dj