Thread: FEECH: Forward with Full Headers

Question FEECH: Forward with Full Headers

I'm pleased that Zimbra provides users with a way to view the full headers of a received (or, amusingly, even a sent) message.

Alas, there seems no easy way to *forward* such a message to someone with those full headers attached, as I do in Mutt every day.

I would like to submit (and hear comment on) 2 feature requests:

1) Add a dropdown menu to Forward (similar to the one on Reply to its left) where the non-default option is "Forward w/headers".

2) Add a configurable button to the button command bar labeled "Report This Email", which automagically sets up a full-header forward to the system's email administrator for further investigation, preferably tagged in such a fashion that it can be filtered into a folder. Who this goes to, and whether it waits for the user to comment, could best be tunable by COS and domain.

Right now, I'll have to have users pop the header dialog, copy and paste into a message to me, and that just won't happen. :-)

If you want to do this every time, Preferences > Composing > Forward > Include original message as an attachment

If you want to do it once only, Forward > Options > Include Original as Attachment or Forward > Options > Include Original with Headers and Prefix
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

I know I said "easy".

I know I said "executives".

:-)

Oh, well; it's FOSS. If you guys don't want to write it, I will...

ZCS 4.5 actually had separate popup menu items for "Forward" and "Forward as attachment." That particular choice went away in 5.0, alas.

The "report this email" idea is mostly already implemented by the "Junk" button. The fact that an administrator can browse the inboxes of the ham/spam accounts isn't documented, but works fine. Annoyingly, the subject line is always set to "zimbra-spam-report: foo@example.com: spam" so you can't easily tell that hundreds of different users have received/reported the same thing. Btw, by default, bayesian learning only happens once per day.

Well, I'm happy with in-line as opposed to as attachment, I just want the headers. But at least I can go look at the 4.5 sources to figure out how to do it.

But "This looks a bit whacky" != "This is spam".

Not for me, at least.

And I want it for myself and my tech guys as well, and I don't want *us* to have to dig for it either.

In general, I want Zimbra to be Mutt, with pretty chrome, or I'm not going to want to use it every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Baylink View Post
    In general, I want Zimbra to be Mutt, with pretty chrome, or I'm not going to want to use it every day.
    Being a long time mutt user myself, I understand. Luckily there's nothing the precludes you from using both. I switch between the web interface, Mail.app and mutt depending on what I'm doing.

-- dNb

Oh, using Mutt in IMAP mode; hadn't thought about that. Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Baylink View Post
    Oh, using Mutt in IMAP mode; hadn't thought about that.
    Yup. I've only used the standard version, but I suspect the newer versions with headers caching would work even better.

Whoops, strike that. Just noticed that the caching has been in the mainline devel branch since 1.5.10 (current devel version is 1.5.18). Enjoy.

-- dNb
    Last edited by dNb; 08-26-2008 at 09:49 AM.