Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing Zimbra Source on Fedora

Default Installing Zimbra Source on Fedora

Guys,
    Following the directions given in ZimbraServer/docs/INSTALL.txt, I have installed all the components i.e. tomcat, mysql, ldap and now I am trying to build ZimbraServer using ant. I couldnt get connected to perforce but I got the source from cvs.zimbra.com. In LDAP, after installing sleepycat, I found that one of the tests was failing due to some version mismatch. I ingored the test and moved forward to install LDAP which completed without any problems.
    Then I added zimbraServer, ZimbraWebclient and Ajax directories as projects in java prespective on eclipse. But once I try to build ZimbraServer using ant with the target "reset-the-world", I get whole lot of errors. Below is top few lines of the errors I am getting.
    clean: ...
    build-init: ...
    [mkdir] Created dir: /opt/zimbra/ZimbraServer/build/dist/openldap/etc/openldap/schema
    [mkdir] Created dir: /opt/zimbra/ZimbraServer/build/generated/src/java
    [mkdir] Created dir: /opt/zimbra/ZimbraServer/build/dist/zimlets
    [mkdir] Created dir: /opt/zimbra/ZimbraServer/build/dist/zimlets-extra
    compile:
    [javac] Compiling 751 source files to /opt/zimbra/ZimbraServer/build/classes
    [javac] ----------
    [javac] 1. WARNING in /opt/zimbra/ZimbraServer/src/java/com/zimbra/cs/account/Account.java
    [javac] (at line 38)
    [javac] public static enum CalendarUserType {
    [javac] ^^^^
    [javac] 'enum' should not be used as an identifier, since it is a reserved keyword from source level 5.0 on
    [javac] ----------
    [javac] ----------
    [javac] 2. ERROR in /opt/zimbra/ZimbraServer/src/java/com/zimbra/cs/account/Account.java
    [javac] (at line 38)
    [javac] public static enum CalendarUserType {
    [javac] ^^^^
    [javac] Syntax error on token "enum", class expected
    [javac] ----------
    [javac] 3. ERROR in /opt/zimbra/ZimbraServer/src/java/com/zimbra/cs/account/Account.java
    [javac] (at line 38)
    ................... and many many more

I couldnt quite get to the bottom of problem as there seems to be a mismatch between the version of jdk I have on my machine and the version the code was written in. My java version is 1.4.2.
    Can anybody help me with this please. I downloaded files from CRAY folder at zimbra which is supposed to be last stable release.
    Thanks

You must use JDK 1.5 +
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Thanks Kevin,
    Its pretty strange that no matter what I do Fedora core 4 still shows version of java as 1.4.2. I have added java in path and have pointed JAVA_HOME to version 5 as well. But nothing seems to change it. I could see that presently /usr/bin/java is infact a link to etc/alternatives/java in fedora. Any ideas how to change this to version5. I have also seen some comments that version 5 is not that stable, have you faced any problems with this version?
    Thanks

You have to put java in your path as well as set JAVA_HOME. 1.5 is the latest stable version of Java. Remember you need to have the Sun JDK from http://java.sun.com and not some other version.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Yes, thats what I did, but still the OS reads the older version. I guess this is intentional as JDK 1.5 or 5 is not completely backward compatible.

What aer you doing to check the version.

Make sure it is in your path, verify that, and then run -version so like:

env | grep PATH
    which java
    java -version

I did all that but nothing would work as I mentioned earlier. Now I have created soft links for new installations and its working fine. Oh, I also changed preferences in Eclipse to use 1.5 instead of 1.4.2. Now I only get warnings with suggestions to recompile with -Xlint:deprecation and -Xlint:unchecked. But that should be OK I guess.
    I can build ZimbraServer till almost the last part of it but if fails at "stop-tomcat-unix:". The reason is that looks for tomcat in /opt/zimbra/bin/tomcat thus throws I/O exception whereas
    tomcat is in /opt/zimbra/tomcat. Is it a bug in build.xml or I am missing something?

I think its not the directory but the script to start or stop tomcat is not being created and thats what should be the reason of the error. Any clue why thats not being created?

The build.xml exects it to be there. Check out hit old blog post for some idea of how it would get there on linux/unix:

http://www.zimbra.com/blog/archives/...ping_with.html

This post is *very* old so things like ipchains don't apply etc. But it should give you some hints.

I got the ZimbraServer build.xml almost fully executed by any except for there were two errors, both related to ldap that it was unable to start it. Since I had ignored ldap during installation because of some version mismatch between ldap and sleepycat, this was quite expected. I moved on to build ZimbraWebClient and it built without any problems. Finally once I opened the page http://localhost:7070/zimbra/ and gave username as user1@myhost.localdomain and password as test123, it gives me following error

"An unknown application error has occurred. Please correct any errors and retry. If the problem persists, please contact your System Aministrator. (INVALID_PDU)"

And I get 404 error (zimbra/admin not found) if I try to test admin page.
    1. Is it because of ldap not working and user not getting authenticated because of that.
    2. If so, is there a workaround so that I dont have to install it?
    3.If there is none, what all components I have to install with ldap to get the system running without errors?
    Thanks