At our school, we are using Zimbra 5.0.11 as our email and calendaring system. We have a requirement to build a calendar UI on our web-site to publish public calendars on campus - possibly a Java (JSP) based web application. We would need to query the Zimbra calendar server and display events in a daily/weekly/monthly format - there are no updates or deletes.
I'm new to Zimbra and I'm exploring the possibility of using Zimbra calendar API for the same. I have a few newbie questions:
1. Which API should be used to query the Zimbra calendar - I see SOAP/XML and REST APIs mentioned on these forums - which is the appropriate/easier API to use for queries, assuming that the calendar UI is dynamic? Or can I just do an HTTP GET to grab a calendar in ICal format and process it?
2. Can the UI be implemented with zimlets? Are there any standard calendar objects/interfaces that I could use on our web page?
3. Can somebody provide any sample Java code that shows how to query the Zimbra calendar server and display events?
4. I would like to know how long it would take to implement a calendar UI with Zimbra API, for a newbie to Zimbra/SOAP/REST - is 2 months reasonable for an experienced Java web developer?
5. It would be great if somebody could point me to the right documentation to get started with the calendar API.
Any help/suggestions/pointers will be greatly appreciated.