Thread: bringing OpenChange together with Zimbra?

Default bringing OpenChange together with Zimbra?

I'm not a developer, but I wonder if any thought has been given to working with the open source OpenChange project, to enable Zimbra and Outlook to work together without the need for a MAPI connector. I see two benefits of the Zimbra community taking this on:

1. Obviously, a free and open source solution would greatly enhance the value of the Zimbra FOSS edition (and remove the burden of Zimbra having to maintain its own connector for the NE).

2. In general a transparent MAPI clone, with a large "constituency" of users and developers across multiple MTA implementations, seems likely to avoid issues that people have had with MAPI connectors in general. (I know that Zimbra's has worked for us in light testing, but I've also read of problems.)

Yet a search of the forums shows only a couple of incidental mentions of OpenChange. I realize that the Outlook connector is likely one of the drivers of NE sales; nevertheless, it seems Zimbra has been more than welcoming of developments in other areas where people have come up with FOSS alternatives to NE features (such as backup).

Wow you posted this back in 2009 and not a single whisper in reply...

Ironically, if in fact what you pointed out is the biggest fear-factor to adopting openchange, Zimbra may end up dying precisely for not embracing it as more users move to SOGO or even Zarafa and others.

Zimbra's paid Enterprise/Network Edition versions can't just rely on the MAPI carrot anymore, it may be best to redesign incoming cashflow strategies to keep it profitable 'even' if adopting free MAPI for all versions. I could offer some suggestions, but perhaps that would be an affront to VMware's business prowess, although I fear they may decide in the end that Zimbra's not worth their effort compared to the ROI they get investing in other products.