Thread: Displaying images in HTML email

Default Displaying images in HTML email

We're currently testing the open source version of ZCS 3.1 and so far we are fairly impressed. The only problem is the blocking of images in HTML emails. While this can protect users from potential security risks, overall it just annoys them, particularly my boss.

There was a thread back in December 2005 that discussed a future solution whereby a user could choose to display images from a certain email address. While this is helpful it's not a full solution, at least in my situation. Is there any way, or is there any plan, to grant further control of this feature to the admin? I'd love to see a global setting, possibly as part of a COS, that would allow us to turn image blocking off by default. If it's not in the works, has anyone else found a way to disable it, possibly by modifying the underlying code?

As the email admin I'd love to use this product, but unless I can disable this feature Zimbra is not longer an option for us.

Ryan

There is no way to turn it off today with out editing the code. Best bet is to file a bug or vote on one if it's been filed.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Is posting this as a bug the best way to get it changed? Since you've obviously designed ZCS to work this way, and have stated as much in the forums, I guess I don't feel like that's going to get me anywhere, and even if it did, not in the near term. If I can't solve this problem in the next couple of weeks I have to find another solution.

Again, I'm not a programmer, but I'm going to give editing the code a shot. Can you or anyone else at least point me in the right direction? Any tips would be appreciated. Anyone else that would like to help feel free to contact me directly.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by ryanenation
    Is posting this as a bug the best way to get it changed? Since you've obviously designed ZCS to work this way, and have stated as much in the forums, I guess I don't feel like that's going to get me anywhere, and even if it did, not in the near term.
    I think it should be an option. So yes filing a bugzilla ticket will put it on our list. Doesn't mean it will be fixed in any set time but getting it on the list will let you and others vote on it and raise the priority of the issue.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

I'd explain to your boss why this is implemented, and try to reason with him that itís a necessity as it is your purgative to carry out your due care and diligence as a email administrator to protect users from leaking sensitive information to spammers or other malicious attackers, thus making the company vulnerable to attack, ie spamming (wasted resources), virus, so forth. And if you went against this better judgment, the company could be held legally liable if any problems arose from such information leakage. or something like that lol, but honestly I wouldn't budge on this issue. Loading external html images is a huge no-no these days.

Ben
    Last edited by unilogic; 04-25-2006 at 12:48 AM.

There's a related annoyance that I filed a bug on (bug 4170), where images are not displayed the second time the user reads a message, even if the user clicked the "show images" button the first time.

http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4170

I hadn't noticed this until we did some more testing. Having to click "Show External Images" everytime you read an email is an major annoyance and I'm a little surprised more people haven't raised issue with this design choice. I'm not opposed to having to click show images on a per email basis. I use Thunderbird and have never even bothered to configure it to disable this feature (although it's an option). But once you click Show Images in Thunderbird it remembers for the life of the email. At the very least Zimbra should be able to remember to show the images for the current session.

Again, I'm not opposed to the design choice of having to manually show images. I understand the security implications, etc. But I don't understand why users, or at the very least administrators, aren't given the option to disable this feature according to some criteria, whether it's by session, email, domain, or simply show all images always.

Ryan

Agreed. Go ahead and vote on the bug so that engineering knows that users want to see it fixed.