Thread: Changing of headers

Default Changing of headers

Hi there!

I just noticed a strange behavior of Zimbra. Unfortunately, I'm not quite sure if Zimbra has this behavior or it is somewhere else. So please correct me if I'm wrong.

Following situation: I'm using javaMail to copy some mails from Exchange to Zimbra. The queer thing now is that there changed a header. In particular, the subject header changed. If I'm getting the bytes of the header string of Exchange and the bytes of the header string in Zimbra I recognize that they do not match.

Therefore, my assumption is that there happened something bad during the copying of the mails. Or is it Zimbra that changes the headers?

thanks for your help.

That would depend on what is changing in the headers; could you provide a example please ?

Sure.

I have an email (identified as spam) that contains in the subject some non-ASCII characters. The subject itself is somehow wrong encoded (should be MIME encoded but isn't or something like that).

This is the header which I get when performing the 'show orginal' action in the Zimbra webclient. As you can see, there is a dash in the middle. This dash is the problem.

Code:
    Subject: Una potenzialita piccola – noi lo possiamo risolvere
    When I try to read out (with JavaMail) the subject on both systems (Exchange and Zimbra) I get a strange string for the dash (because the header is encoded wrongly). For example, the Zimbra header string shows me '???' instead of the dash.

Okay, first I thought it is only a problem of encoding in Java. So I printed the byte stream and saw that there is a significant difference between both streams. Below is the a snipped of the stream concatenated to a string.

Exchange:
    [...]89732-61-94-62-128-62-10932110111[...]
    Zimbra:
    [...]8973263636332110111[...]

As you can clearly see the Exchange snipped contains negative numbers where the Zimbra string contains instead the sequence '636363'.

Therefore my question if Zimbra changes the headers.

Do you need any other example?

Hope this helps.

Do you set any environment variables like LANG or UTF ?

Where, on Java? On Zimbra?

Anyway, I did not set any environment variables on Java side. The Zimbra server is not directly under my control. Therefore, I don't know if there are set some variables. As far as I know it is a standard installation of Zimbra.