Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: What's in the Open Source Edition vs. Network Standard Edition

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    10

    Default What's in the Open Source Edition vs. Network Standard Edition

    I read in Zimbra's new press release:
    "Zimbra's Public License package is available free of charge. Zimbra's
    Network Standard Edition is available for $30 per mailbox per year."

    Could you please explain those two licences?


    Regards,

    Andreas

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    4,789
    Rep Power
    19

    Default What's in the Network and our next planned release.

    The Zimbra Public License (ZPL) is the open source release that we've posted on the website. It's free of charge and includes all the features listed here. The Network Standard Edition will include everything in the OSS/ZPL release. It will also include the following features:


    • Advanced management
      • Clustering
      • Hierarchical storage management
      • Delegated administration
      • Message tracing
      • Hot full and incremental backup/restore
      • Individual mailbox restore
    • Advanced connectitvity

      • Outlook/MAPI
      • Mobility
    • Advanced attachment management

      • Attachment indexing and search
      • HTML attachment rendering
    • Support
    • Full access to Zimbra knowledge base
    The current plan for the next release includes the following features. Please keep in mind this is our plan. It's not commited at this time and is subject to change. As always we'll be releasing milestones along the way so you can track our progress and always be working with the freshest bits if you choose.

    OSS (aka ZPL)


    • Delegated calendar access
    • Multi-calendar views
    • Distribution list management from Admin UI
    • Alias management from Admin UI
    • Improved logging
    • Calendar print
    Network

    • Everything in OSS
    • Hierarchical storage management
    • Integration with Red Hat cluster suite
    • Message tracing
    Last edited by KevinH; 02-23-2006 at 01:15 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    25
    Rep Power
    10

    Default doubt

    so delegated administration will never be in the OSS version ?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    10

    Default wishes.

    Ok. Since you bring it up, heres some of the things i've been thinking:

    1) It would be really great if we could purchase "Network Licenses" for only a portion of our user base. I have about 2% that would want or need to use Outlook/BES, and i'm not sure I could justify a 30$/useryear charge to management for the other 98%.

    2) Will the Network Edition still be Open Source. -- Its almost defeating the purpose of using the product if we lose internal extendability options by purchasing the licensed version--we'll still need to do heavy customizations.

    And while I'm on the subject of wish lists:

    Interface
    1) Resizable columns, sortable columns (i.e. i can't sort by "Sender" right now), and pluggable columns (If i want to replace say, Internal-Date with X-Sent-Date). It would help to have these fields available in the Search Builder, too.

    2) Tasks. Sure, it would be great to have this integrated with a custom forms and workflow engine (as it seems that's your projected-path), but its just, well, missing right now. -- Along these same lines, I'm eventually hoping we're getting a Notes-like forms builder--thats the plan, right?

    3) A way to script popups/mashups into the system via the Admin UI.


    Just to reiterate, Zimbra is awesome. You all have done an amazing job, and I am eagerly looking forward to the future of this product.

    Thanks.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    4,789
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adobrin
    Ok. Since you bring it up, heres some of the things i've been thinking:

    1) It would be really great if we could purchase "Network Licenses" for only a portion of our user base. I have about 2% that would want or need to use Outlook/BES, and i'm not sure I could justify a 30$/useryear charge to management for the other 98%.
    At this time you'd have to run two servers to achieve this. Could you help us out and talk about what your running today? Do you already have a full calendar and email product that your replacing for both the 2% and 98% user groups?

    Quote Originally Posted by adobrin
    2) Will the Network Edition still be Open Source. -- Its almost defeating the purpose of using the product if we lose internal extendability options by purchasing the licensed version--we'll still need to do heavy customizations.
    There is some 3rd party code in the Network Edition that due to license restrictions can't open source. The Network Edition is just as extensible as the Open Source version. The SOAP api's won't change and the Javascript in the client by the technology's nature is open. Also with the Network Edition you'll get full support. This not only includes support on install and administration but support for your integration into your environment.

    Quote Originally Posted by adobrin
    And while I'm on the subject of wish lists:
    <Snip>
    I'm going to start a new thread with this if you don't mind.
    http://www.zimbra.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1280

    Quote Originally Posted by adobrin
    Just to reiterate, Zimbra is awesome. You all have done an amazing job, and I am eagerly looking forward to the future of this product.

    Thanks.
    Thanks we appreciate the honest and frank feedback and will try to respond with the same.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    35
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Dear,

    are you going to implement Outlook/MAP in the OSS version? Because we are interested in setting up a zimbra server, however we want to use outlook to connect to it in the offices.

    We are willing to pay for a connector licences. Will this be available? So you can use the OSS version but buy connectors?

    Regards

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Elmira, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    10

    Default "Network Licenses"

    Quote Originally Posted by adobrin
    1) It would be really great if we could purchase "Network Licenses" for only a portion of our user base. I have about 2% that would want or need to use Outlook/BES, and i'm not sure I could justify a 30$/useryear charge to management for the other 98%.
    Network licenses could also be useful for our office. We have those who are tightly connected to our office that we would be happy to purchase licenses for. We also have others that are "loosly connected" that we would like to give accounts to but we don't need any of the extra stuff for them, and wouldn't want to have to pay the extra costs for them. That said, being able to shedule them in meetings precludes putting them on a separate server. Separate servers also increase admin costs, so are not desirable.

    Another place where free liscences in the Network version could be handy is in adding temporary/project/short term/... where the accounts aren't around long enough to justify the administraiton behind license purchases. (one big advantage of free is removing the license tracting/accounting stuff we need to do on an administration level). We're thinking about switching from Notes to Zambra, and one of the questions is if so, which. The main appeal for the free one now is that we can create new accounts when ever we like without having to go and buy them first. We wouldn't have any problem with purchasing licences for the main people in the office if we could also have free ones for everyone else, but without that, we might go completely free.

    I hope all this made sense.

    Thanks a bunch!

    Steve.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    106
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smvanbru
    Network licenses could also be useful for our office. We have those who are tightly connected to our office that we would be happy to purchase licenses for. We also have others that are "loosly connected" that we would like to give accounts to but we don't need any of the extra stuff for them, and wouldn't want to have to pay the extra costs for them....

    ....We wouldn't have any problem with purchasing licences for the main people in the office if we could also have free ones for everyone else, but without that, we might go completely free.

    I hope all this made sense.
    Got it, thanks for the feedback. Not sure we can provide support for free users (beyond documentation and Forums access for users of the free open-source), but we are looking at how we can provide appropriate pricing for companies/organizations with users who have varying levels of feature-requirements. If you have more detailed thoughts on your users and what levels of features & support would be appropriate for them, we'd appreciate hearing them at sales [at] zimbra.com. Thank you.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    38
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adobrin
    Ok. Since you bring it up, heres some of the things i've been thinking:

    1) It would be really great if we could purchase "Network Licenses" for only a portion of our user base. I have about 2% that would want or need to use Outlook/BES, and i'm not sure I could justify a 30$/useryear charge to management for the other 98%.
    The same true for us. i'd like to use onlyf or a few people the outlook connector 10-20 people for everyone else the opensource edition would be enough. so it'd be useful if some kinf of license would be possible in this situation, or if one can use network edition and only the licensed number of users can be use connectors. anyway i can't find any price list on the webpage, but it'd be useful if all components in the network edition which are not included in the open edition can be purchase one-by-one.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    4,789
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lfarkas
    The same true for us. i'd like to use onlyf or a few people the outlook connector 10-20 people for everyone else the opensource edition would be enough. so it'd be useful if some kinf of license would be possible in this situation, or if one can use network edition and only the licensed number of users can be use connectors. anyway i can't find any price list on the webpage, but it'd be useful if all components in the network edition which are not included in the open edition can be purchase one-by-one.

    If you have questions abot pricing or want to talk about the network edition contacting our Sales team via email is your best bet.

    sales @ zimbra.com

Similar Threads

  1. Error message in Server status
    By Max Ma in forum Installation
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-19-2007, 09:55 AM
  2. Moving from Open Source to Network Edition
    By meltingrobot in forum Administrators
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-06-2006, 12:30 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-21-2006, 10:59 AM
  4. Is Open Source edition upgradeble to Network edition
    By lkirkpatrick in forum Administrators
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-03-2006, 01:18 AM
  5. M3 problem with shares
    By titangears in forum Users
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-12-2006, 01:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •