I'm looking at an implementation for a non-profit organisation, which needs to keep a file of date-stamped notes on a number of clients and suppliers, and I'd like to be able to integrate this into the Zimbra system.
There's two ways I can see this being done: as an extension to Contacts, and as a new Projects module.
The Contacts approach would involve :
1. Extend Contacts to incorporate a Notes page with :
- a unique identifying label eg. "c_smithr"
- Custom field : Type = Client|Supplier
- Custom field : Status = Open|Closed|Pending
- A list of timestamped notes (with Add,Edit,Delete options)
- File Attachments or links to intranet
- Mention of other Contacts in notes hyperlinked
2. Incoming Emails are parsed, and if coming from a known Contact (eg. firstname.lastname@example.org) they are automatically given the label of that Case File (eg. cf:smithr).
3. When viewing emails, smart heuristics scan email body for mention of any Contacts or Contact details (eg. "R.Smith" or "Robert S.") and apply the appropriate label (eg. cf:smithr) and a direct hyperlink to that contact. User can change, delete or add further Case File labels to each email.
4. Other small additions using intelligent hyperlinks so that it is easy to move between Emails, Contacts and Contact Notes.
The Projects approach would involve a whole new module which could provide a similar type of behaviour and integration (ie. Project Notes, Project deadlines, Project participants).
Are there any existing plans or any interest in doing something like this?