Thread: Fedora Core 5 on x86_64 compile?

Hybrid View

Default Fedora Core 5 on x86_64 compile?

Guys,

Has anyone been able to sucessfully get Zimbra to compile on Fedora Core 5? Since there is no daily build or release build for FC5, I need to get this up to work on a new server that will be replacing my existing one.

What I have gotten to work so far is:

http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?tit...e_5_and_x86_64

But now I am hitting two seperate errors. The first in perdition:
    gcc -shared .libs/perditiondb_daemon.o .libs/unix_socket.o -L/opt/zimbra/openldap/lib -L/opt/zimbra/lib -L/opt/zimbra/perdition-1.17/lib -L/opt/zimbra/sleepycat/lib -lpthread -ldb -L/home/Projects/Source/Zimbra/main/ThirdParty/perdition/perdition-1.17/perdition/db/daemon -lperditiondb_daemon_packet -Wl,-soname -Wl,libperditiondb_daemon.so.0 -o .libs/libperditiondb_daemon.so.0.0.0
    /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /opt/zimbra/lib/libdb.a when searching for -ldb
    /usr/bin/ld: /home/Projects/Source/Zimbra/main/ThirdParty/perdition/perdition-1.17/perdition/db/daemon/libperditiondb_daemon_packet.a(packet.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 against `a local symbol' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
    /home/Projects/Source/Zimbra/main/ThirdParty/perdition/perdition-1.17/perdition/db/daemon/libperditiondb_daemon_packet.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

This appears to be a 32bit/64bit conflict (the DB was built from scrach). Any ideas?

Might try adding -fPIC to the BDB build. We've not ran a 64bit compile so may be some makefile hacking that is needed. Also make sure you re-run configure for BDB since your on a different platform.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    Might try adding -fPIC to the BDB build. We've not ran a 64bit compile so may be some makefile hacking that is needed. Also make sure you re-run configure for BDB since your on a different platform.
    I already tried that unfortunitly. It didn't appear to fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by lostknight
    I already tried that unfortunitly. It didn't appear to fix the problem.
    To be more specific I added the -fPIC to the make file. I see a config.status, but I don't see a configure or autoconf anywhere for BDB. Maybe moving to a more modern bdb?

Default x86_64 Compile

I've had similar problems with the 'use fPIC' error that I was able to get around by exporting CFLAGS=-fPIC

There were a few places I had to modify the makefiles to put the switch in, but I'm still working at it.

Hope that helps.

Default X86_64 and zimbra don't play well...

I tried getting zimbra to compile on FC4 X86_64, and eventually gave up and reinstalled the OS as a 32bit version.

From what I can there are numerous cross dependancies in the version of Perl, postfix, et al that zimbra installs that are just not right for X86_64. You can start down the path of a tweak here and a tweak there, modifying this script, symlinking that file, and so on. But pretty soon you get a really scary tangled mess that makes one wonder if it was really worth it.

IMHO, the performane gain is not enough.