Thread: hooks on events versus synchronizing to call a web service

Default hooks on events versus synchronizing to call a web service

Are there any event "hooks" to allow one to fire off something (some code) or web service call when an event is added/updated/modified?

I'm trying to scope a bit of development work for a client who wants to be able to "sync" up third party billing system with some information when a Zimbra event is added. The specific example is, they add an event in the calendar, and it adds the event in the other system.

The system/web-app on the other side speaks web services fine, and my current thoughts are to use the Zimbra synchronization (Zimbra/docs/soap.txt: Synchronize and newer: ZimbraServer/docs/sync.txt), but don't want it to get too complex if it doesn't need to be.

If I used the sync method and just found changes/deltas, I would need to design my glue to poll Zimbra for recently added events, which wouldn't be that bad, but before I continue, I just wanted to see if there's a way to get event level hooks so as soon as an event or contact or anything is added/updated/deleted, I could do the relatively same action on the other system.

Charles Brian Quinn

San Mateo, CA

No event hooks today, but it's something we plan to add in the future.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Default Hooks today?

What about present day? It's nov 2008... any hooks yet?

Palma de Mallorca, Spain
    Default How about now?

Hooks there yet?

:-) I'm kidding, but I would need something like this:

I need a way to send a welcome mail to a new added user.

My client refuses to use the commandline for account provisioning so I can not use the commandline (which would be easy).

Is there a way to do it with, like an zimlet? I did not find anything.
    Is there at least a possibility to hook into account creation so an external tool can send an email?