Thread: Automatic Bayesian reclassification

Hybrid View

Default Automatic Bayesian reclassification

Popfile (http://popfile.sourceforge.net/) has some really cool features for mail filtering. Basically, it can provide an IMAP proxy (still in beta) that intercepts your moving mail from folder to folder, and adapts the Bayesian filtering accordingly.

The end result: your incoming mail gets put into folders based on how you've sorted it in the past. This happens for every e-mail, not just the ones that you've classified as spam. In the end, it means that you don't really need filter rules anymore.

We would really like to get this feature into Zimbra Open Source. Given enough time, the folks at our company could probably do it ourselves, but we're busy with other things (like actually running the business). So, this post is a request to see who else is interested, and possibly to raise funds to pay somebody to do it.

This feature was mentioned a while back in passing on another thread, but I think it really deserves a lot more attention than what it got before. I will be sending a similar message to the Popfile developers to see if there's anybody there who would be interested in doing this work.

Thanks,
    Michael.

If it supports POP/IMAP proxy you could do this today with a standard POP/IMAP client. The bigger question would be is the technology and assumptions designed to work on or inline with a mailserver. Seems from a quick read of the docs it's designed to run on a client machine and not run on the server with your mail server. So may not be a good fit to try an integrate or add-on to Zimbra itself.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

I realize this is a really old topic but I'm just trying out Zimbra desktop myself. My plan is to eventually replace outlook 2002 (no exchange etc, just straight pop).

With popfile it runs on a computer somewhere doesn't necessarily have to be on the client.

Popfile itself doesn't need to be configured with any particular pop account.

What you do is setup a pop account in your email client of choice.
    For incoming server you use the ip of the machine popfile is on, or 127.0.0.1

In your mail client you set your username as domain.com:username
    password is your normal password.

Popfile retreives the emails and filters them before passing them off to the client. It will append bucket names that you created to the subject of the email
    ie.
    [spam]
    [clients] or whatever you choose.

In your email client you create rules to move subjects containing those words into the folders of your choosing.