Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Features Suggestions

Default New Features Suggestions

I scanned the forums and didn't run across any of these that we'd like to see incorporated.

1) email export. We'd really like to see a feature like "export folder as mbox" or something like that. We like to archive project email to our server. Yes we could use an imap client or something and accomplish a similar task, but it would be nice to right-click a folder and export it directly to mbox.

2) contact as attachment. I was looking around and didn't see anything like this. I know 4.0 has the ability to share address books, but it would be nice to be able to send single contacts via an email attachment. If this is already a feature I had a hard time locating it.

3) turn off sharing. Maybe it's blindingly obvious, but I couldn't figure out how to disable sharing of a address book or calender. I think the only thing i coudl find was to share it in a different way.

4) multi-sharing methods for single item. it would be nice, for instance, to have "view only" for all and then be able to specify people who could edit, add, etc. even splitting up these tasks further. i.e. people can add, but not delete or edit, etc.

5) display all contacts when using To: search. Right now you can only search. it would be nice is you had the option to display all. Even a "blank" search won't return all. A search for "@" does, but that's not intuitive.

these features I think I've seen mention of, but I thought I'd reitterate it

6) personal distribution lists.

7) shared mail folders.

John Pierson

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You should really enter them in bugzilla as an RFE and vote on them, that way the guys at Zimbra will get to see them.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Probably, but I like to run them through the forums first to make sure I am not suggesting stuff that either #1 already exists or #2 doesn't make sense in the long run. Too often I see stuff requested that already exists, etc. Why bother the developers with stuff like that when it can be discussed in a forum with others first before being officially submitted.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kavey
    Probably, but I like to run them through the forums first to make sure I am not suggesting stuff that either #1 already exists or #2 doesn't make sense in the long run. Too often I see stuff requested that already exists, etc. Why bother the developers with stuff like that when it can be discussed in a forum with others first before being officially submitted.
    Your point 2 is ok but for point 1, bugzilla is searchable and you could find out if they exist already.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

i agree..

3) turn off sharing. Maybe it's blindingly obvious, but I couldn't figure out how to disable sharing of a address book or calender. I think the only thing i coudl find was to share it in a different way.
    uh, you mean disable the ability to share? calendars and address books of course aren't shared by default (just making sure!) you can disable the ability of a particular account to share by unticking Share in the account Features, it can also be disabled in CoS Features.

4) multi-sharing methods for single item. it would be nice, for instance, to have "view only" for all and then be able to specify people who could edit, add, etc. even splitting up these tasks further. i.e. people can add, but not delete or edit, etc.
    how do you mean? access controls? i see the Documents, Calendars and Address Books already have this, at least in 4.0_rc1.

phoenix-
    Depends on how you look at it. Although you can search, you have to find the right set of terms. People referto different features in different ways. Stumbling onto the correct term can be a challenge.

dijichi2 -
    in refernces to 3) actually i meant revoke a share, which I was able to find
    in reference to 4) yes actually i did mean access control, but like revoking a share, i didn't know it stacked as i wasn't looking in the right place.

So essentially #3 and #4 go away.

I will say that some of these features just didn't slap me in the face. Took me a few minutes to figure out how to create a new address book Granted it is RC and not final.

Default some of these are possible already...

1) email export. We'd really like to see a feature like "export folder as mbox" or something like that. We like to archive project email to our server. Yes we could use an imap client or something and accomplish a similar task, but it would be nice to right-click a folder and export it directly to mbox.
    You can use the REST interface to retrieve a ZIP archive of a folder's contents. Just make sure to specify fmt=zip in the REST URL.

2) contact as attachment. I was looking around and didn't see anything like this. I know 4.0 has the ability to share address books, but it would be nice to be able to send single contacts via an email attachment. If this is already a feature I had a hard time locating it.
    This is bug 6045.

Right-click on the shared folder, Edit Properties => Sharing for this folder => Revoke.

You can share a single folder with more than one group of users. Permissions are additive. Finer-grained permissions are possible but not exposed via the web UI; please file this in bugzilla if you'd like to see it.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Quote Originally Posted by dkarp
    You can use the REST interface to retrieve a ZIP archive of a folder's contents. Just make sure to specify fmt=zip in the REST URL.
    Wow, I didn't know about that. This feature absolutely floored me. Our current archiving procedure is about 18 steps (without resorting to any customized programming). With programming I could probably cut it down to about 4-5 steps (probably less if I really spent some extra effort). With this... man... it would reduce our procedure to about 1-2 steps without any customizing on our part. My boss was almost as excited as I was when we saw it. A simple right-click on the folder to export would be nicer, but even without that, this is awesome.

I can't wait for the final 4.0 release. I think I could easily convince my bosses to dump exchange now.
    Last edited by Kavey; 08-25-2006 at 07:00 AM. Reason: typos

[QUOTE=dkarp]You can use the REST interface to retrieve a ZIP archive of a folder's contents. Just make sure to specify fmt=zip in the REST URL.

This is a good alternative. Can you please detail how to do so? I am not familiar with REST. I tried Google and searching in this forum and can't find something that works.

Default Check out rest.txt

Details of the REST interface can be found in rest.txt.

For this case, try something like
    Code:
    http://server.example.com/home/{username}/inbox.zip
    or
    Code:
    http://server.example.com/home/{username}/inbox?fmt=zip
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!