Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OSS vs. Network - Different situation

Won't work - we can't support one user on a server and not the other, we have to support the server.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Default I'm just sharing ideas - But consider

Then charge:
    By the hour, by the call, by the problem type, by what kind of mood you're in that day.............

there are multiple ways you can charge for support.

And.. once again, you can make support optional.

Quote Originally Posted by dwill
    The problem is, out of two hundred users, I only have about 25 or so that require the "Network Edition" functionality. Not wanting to run multiple mail servers means that I must now pay for NE subscriptions for 200 users vs. 25.
    Which functionality are you talking about?

What I mean is, for example, are you ready to let these 175 users without backup? Without attachement rendering/searching?

In your first post list, you're missing these points : the NE is not just an OSS with Outlook/Mobile devices support, it's way beyond that (from my own point of view of course)...

If you don't want the Outlook connector, get some "Standard Edition", you'll save $10 per user per year compared to the "Pro Edition" (yes, you can mix the both on your server).

If you don't want the whole calendaring + attachement handling + Documents + Zimlets + Mobile + Sharing, check with your sales guy if you can mix "Pro Edition" with "Email Edition"...
    If so, you'll save $32 per user per year on your 175 users (if not, this should be stated on the Zimbra Packaging PDF).

Default Let me simplify....

I already have a mail server that supports 200 users. It runs the same open source software behind the scenes that powers Zimbra.

My cost for the current software is $0.00

I have a mobile sales force and a few executives that would like the ability to share calendars and use their tech gadgets.

My total number of users does not warrant multiple mail servers. Administratively, I don't want to support multiple mail servers or multiple mail applications.

I want only the ability to provide this enhanced functionality for the sales/executive users.

If the price is reasonable, it would make since to provide the additional services to everyone

If I wanted to pay annual license fees, I would probably be a Microsoft shop instead of Linux.

I would like the ability to purchase the software that provides the enhanced functionality for X number of users. If a new version comes out - charge me for that too, or offer an upgrade price.

Once again - Zimbra is great, I'm setting up a machine to run the 60 day NE trial. I'm confident it provides what I'm looking for.

I don't want to have to pay an annual subscription, I want to buy software. If I need support, I'll call you - you charge me for that call, don't include support in your price. Make it optional.

Just recommendations - I know what my options are with Zimbra now, I would just like you to consider another avenue to gain MY revenue.

At some point the open source community will have Outlook and OTA Sync functionality available for free. There are several projects underway now. I like the Zimbra Admin interface. I think it simplifies my job.

If I have to choose between annual subscriptions vs. Free (when it becomes available) Free wins - Sure it may take me a day or two to implement and test, but it save me several thousand dollars this year, and next, and next .....

If I have to choose between annual subscriptions vs. Free (when it becomes available) Free wins - Sure it may take me a day or two to implement and test, but it save me several thousand dollars this year, and next, and next .....

That formula assumes that your time has a value of $zero, though, doesn't it?

I have a mobile sales force and a few executives that would like the ability to share calendars and use their tech gadgets.
    It's only that you need ?
    No backup for the executives, no attachment HTML rendering/searching, etc.
    You don't want anything else than OSS + mobile gadget ?

Here's your solution : ask your Zimbra sales guy (or girl 8)) to give you all the info about the "certified partner solution" (as seen here : http://zimbra.com/products/zimbra_mobile.html)

Default 2 servers is not as bad as you make it out to be

I think that the hurdle of running 2 servers, one for the "haves" and one for the "have-nots", is nowhere near as great a burden as you're making it out to be. And that way there's no need to pay for the OSS-only users.

And if you'd like to switch those "have" users to a third-party OSS Outlook/OTA solution when it's available, you're absolutely free to do so.

Default We're sounding like broken records now.

Klug, Zimbra Mobile requires the network edition. (which requires RHEL, Annual License fees...)

My time value is the same whether I'm setting up Zimbra or another option -
    Not relevant -

all other functions you mentioned (backup...) are covered in other ways

Running two servers is an option I don't want to excercise. See above for details.

Default Your choice, no doubt.

Running two servers is an option I don't want to excercise. See above for details.
    Understood. But given that it seems to satisfy all your other objections, and given the low overhead of managing a Zimbra server, I'm not sure that most other potential customers in your position will have the same aversion to running 2 servers.

It's your call. But regardless, I'd strongly suggest you follow up with a salesperson to make your feelings on this point known -- they really, really don't follow the Developers forum. (Except for Andy Pflaum.)

Klug, Zimbra Mobile requires the network edition. (which requires RHEL, Annual License fees...)
    You did not read me correctly.
    I told you to get informations about the "certified partner solution", not "Zimbra Mobile".

BTW, this was my last post on this troll thread.