Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scan messages in store?

Default Scan messages in store?

I know the AV/AS program can hook to postfix to perform real-time message scan, but is there any API exposed for other program to scan messages in the message store and take appropriate actions?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by hydra View Post
    I know the AV/AS program can hook to postfix to perform real-time message scan, but is there any API exposed for other program to scan messages in the message store and take appropriate actions?
    They are just file on a HD and are easily accessible but you really don't want to scan and/or modify them do you? Perhaps it might help if you gave details of what you're trying to do.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

I hope i am not confescating your topic, but i am interested in the same thing. I would like to share my email (or contacts or tasks for that matter) from zimbra to an external application. This could be achieved by scanning the mails but preferably we would like zimbra to send a notification on change of the contacts. Without the user logging in to the webclient. Is this possible and if so, what would be the best way to achieve this?

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    They are just file on a HD and are easily accessible but you really don't want to scan and/or modify them do you? Perhaps it might help if you gave details of what you're trying to do.
    Yes, I can scan the files directly, but if I take action on the file (like tag, quarantine, delete, etc), it will be inconsistent with its meta data that stored in db.
    I'm evaluating zimbra to see if it's possible to develop a scan program for zimbra, which will include the functionality to scan messages in the store, so I would like to know if zimbra has any API that allow 3rd party program to take action on the messages in the store, just like the VSAPI in MS Exchange.

What about using REST (ZCS 6.0:Zimbra REST API Reference - Zimbra :: Wiki , never used it) or using IMAP (e.g. via perl and Mail::IMAPClient, which I know to work)

Quote Originally Posted by mfvm View Post
    What about using REST (ZCS 6.0:Zimbra REST API Reference - Zimbra :: Wiki , never used it) or using IMAP (e.g. via perl and Mail::IMAPClient, which I know to work)
    It seems that both the REST API and SOAP API need authentication, i don't think it's suitable for a server-side message scanning program

It seems that both the REST API and SOAP API need authentication, i don't think it's suitable for a server-side message scanning program
    You may create a special admin user for that purpose and use SASL PLAIN Auth with IMAP - that works and is IMHO suitable for a server application.

You may create a special admin user for that purpose and use SASL PLAIN Auth with IMAP - that works and is IMHO suitable for a server application.
    Do you mean I can use that special admin user to scan/modify messages in other users' mailbox?

Do you mean I can use that special admin user to scan/modify messages in other users' mailbox?
    Yes, yuo can. This is by the way the thing you are doing if you import users from another IMAP server via imapsync.

Yes, yuo can. This is by the way the thing you are doing if you import users from another IMAP server via imapsync.
    How special is the admin user? And as I know, imapsync also needs the passwords to import user from other IMAP server, see the following command I copied from zimbra wiki:

perl imapsync --buffersize 8192000 --nosyncacls --subscribe --syncinternaldates \
    --host1 kerio.host.com --user1 user@host.com --password1 keriopasswd --sep1 "/" --prefix1 "" \
    --host2 zimbra.host.com --user2 user@host.com --password2 zimbrapasswd