Thread: Developers roadmap?

Default Developers roadmap?

Is there some timelines on development? It will be much easier for me to push for Zimbra if I can show a timeline to the bosses about it being 'beta'

We will post a more detailed roadmap in the next month. Our plan remains that we will launch another Beta version soon and then a GA later in the year. Please let us know what details you need and we will try and get you the information.

Default Will the beta releases be upgradeable?

I am considering using zimbra for a small dozen person email server I run. I have it running on a test box at home and love it!

I want to put it into production for the small domain, but I'm worried that the upgrade path to future betas and ultimately the final release might be rocky.

Any thoughts on how easy the upgrade path going forward will be? Or if there will be one at all?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainFiesta
    I am considering using zimbra for a small dozen person email server I run. I have it running on a test box at home and love it!

I want to put it into production for the small domain, but I'm worried that the upgrade path to future betas and ultimately the final release might be rocky.

Any thoughts on how easy the upgrade path going forward will be? Or if there will be one at all?
    If it helps, even the current beta comes with instructions for upgrading from previous versions.

The following post tells about how to do that:

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/showthr...hlight=upgrade

Basically, it's just a couple of Perl scripts that you run.

I suspect, although this is beta, that they'll continue offering similar tools for their releases. They probably need similar tools for their internal version anyway :-)

Have a good one,
    -Eric

Quote Originally Posted by jrobb
    We will post a more detailed roadmap in the next month. Our plan remains that we will launch another Beta version soon and then a GA later in the year. Please let us know what details you need and we will try and get you the information.

We are currently running about 5 000 users on a freebsd/squirrelmail/exim/courier setup, I LOVE the look and feel and would love to replace our current setup with yours. I guess I just need to start planning out a timeline so I can present this as an option and be able to give them some sort of idea of a time. I will say to them it looks like later this year and perhaps I can get a demo running on seperate machine.

Thanks a lot, it looks fantastic

Default Thanks, and there are always options...

Quote Originally Posted by andreychek
    If it helps, even the current beta comes with instructions for upgrading from previous versions.

The following post tells about how to do that:

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/showthr...hlight=upgrade

Basically, it's just a couple of Perl scripts that you run.

I suspect, although this is beta, that they'll continue offering similar tools for their releases. They probably need similar tools for their internal version anyway :-)

Have a good one,
    -Eric

Thanks for the link! Worst case I could always do what I'm planning to do to migrate to zimbra in the first place...

1 - Setup a fresh zimbra server

2 - Create the users

3 - Use imapsync to move the mail over